Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Signs of the Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNBruno

Programmer
Jan 14, 2004
US
Search is broken, so I don't know if we've gone here before.

Lately, I've taken notice of some unusual and, I'm sure often, unintended phrases in signage. Here are a few. What are some of your favorites?

Sign...

...outside a chiropractor's office: "Trying to get pregnant? We can help!"

...in front of a South Florida paving company: "If you don't like the looks of your driveway, it's your own asphalt."

...in the window of a Mexican restaurant: "Children, buy one, get one free."

...at the local dry cleaners: "Drop your pants here, $2.95."

< M!ke >
I am not a hamster and life is not a wheel.

There used to be a Wagner's Meat Market in New Orleans, and his signs (and bumper stickers)said "You can't beat <company name>".

I just didn't have the nerve to explain to my wife why I was laughing at that...

Solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum.

I've always been particularly fond of the Secret Nuclear Bunker sign.

In the city I live in there's a tire company that has their motto painted in large letters on the side of the building: "If it's in stock, we've got it!"

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Diaper Laundering Service:
"We're #1 in the #2 business!"

[COLOR=black #d0d0d0]When I walk, I sometimes bump into things. I am closing my eyes so that the room will be empty.[/color]

There is a funeral company down the road from me, and they have an "Investors in people" sign on the front of their building.

I always thought that Tenkiller state park in Oklahoma is where they go to film teen slasher movies:

Chip H.

I saw a truck for a cesspit cleansing service today, the company was called "Suc-Cess Cleansing" with a slogan that played on the Ford campaign, "Everything you do, is driven by us"

Couple more:

...in a bank lobby: "In order to serve you better, we will be closed on Saturdays."

...on Cemetery Road in Tempe, AZ: "Dead End."

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

I've this powerpoint with signs in China, where they tried to translate to English. Don't know how to put that on here, but some examples:

In a restaurant:
"please keep chair on position & keep table cleaned after dying"

On the door of a chaning room for babies:
"Beware of People"

Above a dumpster:
"Poisonous & Evil Rubbish"

Cheers,

Roel

I was amused by an instruction in Beijing to "Please respect our monument & our railings". In fact, there were a few entertaining ones, will have to dig out photos!

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

One of China's road signs:

"Go soothingly on the greasy roads, for therein lurks the skid demon."

Whenever a vending machine or something breaks down, we print out this picture and tape it to the machine until the repairman comes.

Seen in a joint: “All unattended children will be given a free puppy and cup of espresso.”

< M!ke >
- Winston Churchill

pizza joint, that is...

< M!ke >
- Winston Churchill

CC:

Heh - I like that license plate.

When I lived in Columbus, Ohio there was an auto parts store whose slogan was "We're open 7 days a week and that includes Sundays!!"

gee, ya think?

"We're open 7 days a week and that includes Sundays!!"

I tend to think it was there for a good reason. They probably had a regular one, "We're open 7 days a week" before, but still got asked every day if they were open Sundays. Did you ever ask them?

-> "We're open 7 days a week and that includes Sundays!!"

That reminds me of a Steven Wright joke. I can't find it online right now, so this is paraphrased:

Steven Wright said:
Last night I went to a 24-hour grocery. When I got there, the guy was locking the front door.

I said, "Hey, the sign says you're open 24 hours."

"Yeah," he says, "but not in a row!"

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

I worked in a Joke store when I was younger. We had two signs hanging one was "Unattended children will be sold" and the second was "Shop lifters will be prostituted"

At a batter store we had a sign behind the counter

"If you are not happy with your purchase please return the unused portion and we will gladly return the unused portion of your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back