Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaska

MIS
Mar 5, 2002
FI
I had ME and I upgraded it to XP. When I had ME my computer automatically turned itself off when i pressed shutdown but now that I have XP it doesn't. Where's the problem, in BIOS?

Can you clarify? Does it do nothing, hang, or re-start? In my case XP restarted. The problem was the Logitech internet kayboard software -- not compatable and Logitech is not upgrading it for XP. Remove the software -- shut down problem solved.

Can you clarify? Does it do nothing, hang, or re-start? In my case XP restarted. The problem was the Logitech internet keyboard software -- not compatable and Logitech is not upgrading it for XP. Remove the software -- shut down problem solved.

You may be getting a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) error that you are not seeing, because XP automatically restarts. To turn off the automatic restart: Click Start, right click My Computer, click Properties, Click on the Advanced Tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, and under the System Failure options uncheck Automatically Restart. This happened on my PC and a Microsoft Engineer told me how to turn off the automatic restart. After doing this, I was able to see the error message that pointed me to the driver that was keeping the system from shuting down.

I know what youre talking about.
Win xp will shut itself down but it wont powerdown the computer as it did with wim me
I end up with the "it is now safe to shut off your computer" logos.sys i think it is.
If you find a solution to this please let me know

mugsyf@canada.com

thanks

Mine does the same.. will go to the "It is now safe to shut off your computer" screen that win95 and prior used to do. I have looked all over the settings and also in tweakui and the BIOPS settings, I can't find a thing. There has got to be a way to have it power down the system. I am sure someone knows.

Bill G.. any help here?
Mike
ledzep@hot.rr.com
I am just an old Paratrooper and an avid hardcore gamer too which is gonna get me divorced =) I do not know C++ or any of that other stuff due to being in the Army for 14 years and am too lazy after long houred days to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back