Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shutdown problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
I remember reading online at one time about a problem with Windows and shutting down, that with the high-speed of harddrives these days that the harddrive will shut down before Windows is ready to shut down, and that this can cause problems, and that there is a fix for this problem.

I think that is what's happening with my computer now, with a fresh install of Win 98, on shutdown, sometimes the harddrive will shut off then a few seconds later the system will power down too. However, other times the harddrive will shut off and the display will remain blank and I have to manually hit the power button.

I can't remember where I read about this problem, so if anyone knows what I'm refering too, could you help me out?

Try the windows update page or the support pages they might have a program to delay the shutdown slightly to allow the hard drive to finish writing before shutting down.

Good Luck!

Squiggy

DANG IT!!!!

You might have copy and paste it to get to the article,Sorry about that Dakota81

Squiggy

HA! The issue I was thinking of was listed second on the Windows Update page. I can recall now why I never have checked that update page - for some reason it will not show in my copy of Internet Explorer 6. I know Microsoft didn't allow the update page to work with Netscape at one time, but I find out it does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back