Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

c8a4v7

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
CA
i have a pc running home edition with shutdown problems. if i have the ethernet cable connected to the back of the computer and try to shutdown it just hangs at the "windows is shutting down". but if i restart the computer with the cable not connected and then go to shutdown it shuts down. it seems to do this only when there is a LAN connection. please help

It sounds like an S3 state issue with WOL: Go to the computer manufacturer web site and download, then apply, a BIOS upgrade if possible.

another thing i forgot to mention is that i have checked for spyware and viruses. if i go into safe mode with networking it shuts down just fine

That does help:

Three tests:

. If you Start, Run, shutdown -f -s
Does it shutdown?

. If you download and use this freeware, does it shutdown?

. if no joy from the above, does this freeware shut the machine down?

If any of the above works, create a shortcut on your Desktop and use the above utility as the Target path to shutdown the computer.

Further detective work you can do:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back