Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should technology push out cursive writing instruction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
Indiana (US) is no longer requiring students to learn cursive writing. TechRepublic is doing a survey about this. I read one article that asked a good question, "How will they sign their checks/contracts/legal documents?" In the US (and I suspect the same in true in many countries) a cursive signature is considered unique to a person while printing is not since it is more easily duplicated.

What are your thoughts and how did you vote? BTW, I voted "No."

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I too voted no, I can't in good conscience vote for the dumbing down of America.

What a shame that children will no longer be able to read the names on our Declaration of Independence.

Sam

On the other hand when was the last time anybody calculated ‘by hand’ on a piece of paper with a pencil the square root of 9.8696? Or logarithms? Or looked up ‘stuff’ in some tables (they used to be printed on the back of the text books)? People could do it ‘the hard way’ some time ago, but now…. We have simple calculators, scientific ones which can draw equations, computers, etc.

It is good to know how to do it, but we don’t really have to do it anymore.

Cursive writing – it would be nice if young people could do it, but I would rather like them to know: how many States are in the Union, who is the vice-president, how many stripes there are on the flag and why, etc. And not which (so called) star is divorcing whom and why.

Just my $0.02

Have fun.

---- Andy

Hi,
An important side effect of learning cursive writing is the discipline it requires and the fine muscle control it develops in the hand and arm ( usefull when their working life may involve pressing buttons and using a keyboard)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

We actually had a discussion about this very topic, back in Feb. 2006. Here's the thread:

I for one am a bit on the fence about this. I never use cursive except for my signature. I find printed writing much easier to read, for the most part. There are of course people whose printing is as bad as any scrawled cursive. On the other hand, there are benefits to learning cursive, as already mentioned (e.g., being able to read cursive writing, it builds fine motor control, etc.)

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

As I mentioned in the Feb 2006 thread, Calligraphy is my one claim to artisanry. I teach it to my grandchildren, and it gives them a great deal of satisfaction and self-confidence.

Not providing children with the opportunity to learn cursive writing deprives them of both a valuable co-ordination/fine-motor skill and a self-confidence builder.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

My signature can easily be confused with a heartbeat line off of a heart monitor.

Stubnksi

What's a check?

I got out of middle school and didn't use cursive writing again.
My signature is slanted block print.

Indiana is messed up on a couple levels. Only half the state follows DST.

Lod

[blue]The doc walks in.[/blue] The good news:[green]"It's just Grumpy Old Man Syndrome."[/green] The bad news:[red]"You're not even 30."[/red]

I learnt to write always with a pen (nibbed pen, not ballpoint) and I still do.

I would hate not to do this anymore.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I guess it's like anything - don't use it and you lose it.

I once had very neat cursive handwriting, but have spent a lot of years on a keyboard. My handwriting is now a mess, so I tend to write non-cursive for clarity or avoid it all together!

It definately should be taught though...

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours...

On the bright side maybe in 20 years we'll all be able to read a doctors "printed" prescription.

Sam

Wow, you still get handwritten presciptions & can't see it changing for 20 years? Where are you? In the UK they've been printed for quite a while now, the doctor just has to sign it.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

<off-subject>Here in Southside Virginia, the doctors don't even sign the prescriptions. They are electronically signed as they are sent to the patient's pharmacy via computer.</off-topic>

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

mcallisto:

Already happening. My health plan's doctors print their prescriptions out from the patient record and just sign them. And they can either fax them directly to the pharmacy, or electronically transmit them. Now, if they can only get the billing straightened out...

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

I have printed for years, even before computers, as my cursive is bad.

I do not believe they need to teach cursive if they still teach the proper way to make the letters.

Sorry the following is off subject but related to teaching:

My pet peeve is the lack of good math skills.

Go through a checkout with a $9.15 total give the kid a ten dollar bill and a quarter, and when they have already hit the $10 key, they get flustered, since the machine is telling them $0.85 they cannot figure all I really want is one dollar bill and one dime.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Yep flapeyre mine is too, I just brought it up to show that even with good training most Doctors have extremely poor cursive skills.

As for the billing I couldn't agree more!!!

Sam

djj55:

I used to be pretty bad at math (I still think that calculus is akin to measuring rainfall by weighing the world before and after it rains), but, c'mon, at least learn to make change. These fast-food drive-through clerks are getting clueless. What if the register (along with the food) gets fried? Without a calculator, they are helpless.

What I REALLY hate about the new order is that they hand you the bills first now, and pile the coins on top. This is resulting in more dropped change. The old way was to do the coins first. If my purchase was $5.19, and I gave them a $20 bill, the change is going to be $16.81, so they would actually say the amounts as they gave you the change back (25, 50, 75, 80, 81, then the bills, 5, 10, 15 16). Now the onus is on the purchaser to verify, and I'll bet most people don't.

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

If my purchase was $5.19, and I gave them a $20 bill, the change is going to be $16.81
No, your change would be $14.81, not $16.81 (don't yell at the kid at the resgister about your $2 :) )

And the 'old way' would be:
$14.81, so here are:
4 pennies, that makes $14.85
1 nickel, that makes $14.90
1 dime, that makes $15.00
$5 bill, that makes (your original) $20

Have fun.

---- Andy

If my purchase was $5.19, and I gave them a $20 bill, the change is going to be $16.81No, your change would be $14.81, not $16.81 (don't yell at the kid at the resgister about your $2 )
And the 'old way' would be:
$14.81, so here are:
4 pennies, that makes $14.85
1 nickel, that makes $14.90
1 dime, that makes $15.00
$5 bill, that makes (your original) $20

14.81 is the change. 5.19 is the cost.
1 penny (makes $5.20)
1 nickel (makes $5.25)
3 quarters (makes $6.00)
4 dollars (makes $10.00)
1 $10 (makes $20.00)

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Mea culpa. I guess I'm spoiled by calculators, too.

-- Francis
--Robert Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back