Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I invest in Visual Foxpro 9 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolx

Programmer
Jul 22, 2003
JM
I am about to develop two applications for a government agency using SQL Server as the backend. I am wondering if it is a good idea to use Visual FoxPro 9 as the frontend. Is it stiil relevant?

Carol,
Well as you might expect, most people here would say YES! Hooking on to data in SQL server is easy enough and you even have a number of choices - Views, Cursor Adapters, Pass Though - ODBC, ADO - OLE DB.

With VFP 9.0's enhanced SQL data compatibility - through new data types, commands and functions - it's much easier than even in pre 9.0 (which was still easy!).

It is quite relavant - especially when the you hear highly placed MS employees talk about how VS.NET will be "borrowing" more of VFP to include in future versions (learn it here now!). See the last 3-4 minutes of this Channel 9 interview of Ken Levy -
Rick

I did, and everyone is entitled to my opinion. :) lol

Great product, all the help you could ever need is either in a focus group in your area or here on this and other forums.

Rapid development, great data handling, and fairly easy to work with.

Don Higgins
Crew Chief Pro Racing Analysis Software

Carolx,

Given that you are using a SQL Server back end, there is one overriding advantage of VFP 9.0: it supports the varchar data type. This seemingly small improvement makes a world of difference when using remote views to update the back-end.

Even without all the other many benefits of the new release, the support for varchars justifies the cost of upgrading.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Carolx,

Assuming you've used VFP in the past, you might also be interested in a new book to be published soon by which goes through the new features of VFP9. I haven't seen anything of it, but in the past I've found their books to be very helpful.

Hope that helps,

Stewart
PS If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back