Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

should I go to the summer party?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2008
US

Back in March, I signed up for a training course (non-technical) that is spread out over four weekends. The last of those weekends is 14-15 June. I took my current job at about the same time.

Our CEO is an okay guy. The team is pretty decent. Everyone is pretty positive and supportive.

The CEO recently sent an Evite informing us of the company summer party at his place. He has a pool. It's the day of the training I signed up for.

I can make up the missed work on the training. The trainer will give me a DVD of his teaching. I can still make it Sunday as well.

Should I go the summer party?

Party ON!

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Yes, I would go to the summer party. I think you should take advantage of the opportunity to socialize with other members of the company team outside of the office, especially since the missed training downside is mitigaged by the DVD option.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

If you're only missing one day of training and the instructor will let you make it up, then go to the party. Especially if other members of your team will be there. It's part brown nosing and part socialization, but unless it's a drug and booze fueled orgy of destruction then it will probably help your career.

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

but unless it's a drug and booze fueled orgy of destruction then it will probably help your career

And if it is, take pictures. Then you could have a job for life ;-)

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

It's part brown nosing

Just be sure you have depth perception, it's the only difference between kissing a$$ and brown nosing.

[rednose]

Sorry, you missed the party and it was fun.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Depends on if you like your job and would you like to advance to higher positions. In smaller companies bosses tend to notice who goes to these functions and who doesn't. Those who routinely are absent from these functions can be seen as not supportive of company culture and may not be picked for advancement. The worst thing you can do is say you will go and not show up.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

There isn't much opportunity for advancement in this company anyway, at least in my position. I don't think I will be here more than a year.

The main accounting lady (who has been with the company for quite a few years) said that she was going. She claimed that she was going "because he'll use it against me" if she didn't go. She felt like she had to go.

I decided to go.

shoalcreek said:
I decided to go.

Good decision. Even if you just "made an appearance" it's better than being a no-show. I for one believe you made the right decision, you never know what the future holds.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Even if you don't want to stay you ha(ve)d to go because you don't want your boss talking bad about you when some new employer phones him to ask how good you are. Yes some firms really do check your reference.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

The future is out there
my blog

So how was the party? Did you stay long? Any interesting incidents that it will good to know about in the future?

Leslie

no, but I was hoping for some details on the
drug and booze fueled orgy of destruction

my life is a fairly drab one of work and home....I get my excitement vicariously and that seemed like a really good one!

Les

I was the first one to show up. I was the fourth person to leave. I really hated missing a day of class for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back