Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shadowing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnycna

MIS
Feb 21, 2003
US
Has anyone had issues setting up users for shadowing Citrix sessions with Citrix XP? Being an admin I have no issues at all. But I was setting up one of my users to shadow another user. When he went to shadow the other user another session of his own launched. So everytime he tried to shadow someone, it would open up another session for himself to the point where he had 6 open sessions for himself. Any help would be appreciated? We have 4 servers in our Citrix farm.

How do you have the other "administrators" setup? Are you using the policies available in the Management Console?

eslersa

We created a Citrix shadowing group on all of our servers. And yes we are using the policies in Management Console.
Does that give you enough info on my situtation. Basically we were following some advice we got from a Citrix website.

By design, you must have a session open to a server in order to shadow another session. This is internal to the Citrix software and can not be changed. This is why you open up a session of your own when shadowing someone else. Pre- Citrix XP, you did not even have the option to shadow another session unless you already had a session open.

Regarding the multiple sessions, I am still trying to get my mind around that. It should see that you have a session open and allow you to shadow from the one session. However, I am not 100% on this. I am looking into this in my farm, but I wanted to go ahead and post the info above while I think your problem over.

Jeff,

That is what we were doing. My user would have a session open on one of our servers and then try to shadow another user on the same server. Question for you, do you have to log into the same server as the person you are shadowing? Under Metframe 1.8 you didn't have to, but I was wondering if this has changed in XP.

There are a couple of issues where sessions are not closing due to a process open during the session hangs.

Check out the thread on sessions hanging:

thread48-515783

I've had a similar problem but never had the time or even motivation to troubleshoot it (since I was the only one experiencing it, and it's only on rare occasion). I just use an alternate tool to shadow like:
Start/Run/ type in tsamdin
or
Start/Run/ type in wshadow

I have the most trouble using the Citrix Management Console and only with particular users. Let us know if you find a real fix for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back