Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up SATA hard drives with AMD64 CPU on MSI K8T motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
Looking for a lot of help! Have just set up an AMD64 CPU on MSI K8T Neo board and want to install two SATA WD 40GB Raptor 10K rpm hard drives using a Promise FastTrak 378 controller. Present WD 40GB hard drive is working well in the IDE connector on the motherboard, but only at 2 GHz. Would like to install the two SATA drives and transfer data on the present hard drive to a SATA drive. First, I would attach the SATA drives to the SATA connectors on the motherboard, then set up the BIOS to "As S-ATA" using the Promise FastTrak 378 controller. I use the Acronis backup program and would like to restore a current backup to the SATA drives. Can I restore an IDE conventional backup to a SATA drive? If that will work I would then install the cache settings using the Promise Serial-ATA Utility. If anybody has been through this, I would appreciate hearing from you. Many thanks.

I have the same mb and cpu but I can't get win2000 to install to a single Maxtor 120gb SATA drive. I've followed the install instructions exactly and the performance is horrible then it locks up just before going to get Network Wizard.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Do you also have a second Maxtor HDD installed? This SATA business is all new to me but as I understand things at this point you would need two drives for a Serial-ATA setup. Did you reinstall WIN 2000 to this drive and all your programs as well? One of my questions goes to whether I can restore (from the Acronis backup program)everything on my C: drive to a SATA drive or whether I am going to have to reload everything on the SATA drive. Again, as I understand, the SATA drives would be considered as one and automatically mirror to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back