Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Mitel 3300 on a 3Com 2928 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cepacs

Technical User
Jun 3, 2008
US
We have a 3Com Baseline Plus 2928 PoE switch (3CRBSG28PWR93) and I need to setup QoS on this switch. I have vlan 100 as the voice vlan and vlan 101 as the data vlan.

On the ports that the phones (Mitel 5320 IP Phones) are plugged in, should I tag them in vlan 100 and have vlan 101 untagged? Or should I just have separate ports for voice and separate ports for data?

I'd like to do whatever would give me the best QoS.

Thanks!

Typically you set the data devices or untagged devices to go to the default VLAN. In your case VLAN 100. You would then set tagged on the same ports to VLAN 101. This gives you seperation of Voice and Data but not really Qos. You need to define priority for the voice VLAN to be higer then the default VLAN.

At some point you need to tell the phones what VLAN to use because on boot they will be sending all their packets as untagged. I am not familiar with 3Com but in HP you would use LLDP to tell the phones their VLAN on boot and in Cisco you would use CDP. If the 3Com doesn't support either protocol their is a third the Mitel phones respond to otherwise you need to setup your DHCP server to handout the voice VLAN number to the phones ( double fetch method ).

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

Thanks for the response! Actually, the default vlan (data vlan) is vlan 101. The 3Com does support LLDP, but I'm not familiar with it so I'll have to look into how that needs to be setup.

The switch also has the ability to set a port as a voice VLAN and you put in the OUI of the IP phones. The switch then see the OUI number and sends it to the voice vlan. Both data and voice can be used on the same port. Not sure if this is as good as using LLDP.

Ok, once I set the LLDP to global, then it worked! Thanks LoopyLou! The thing I find strange is, I had our Mitel person set the 3300 for tagging, but it still works even if I have the Mitel 3300 connected to a port on the switch that is untagged. Do I need to having tagging on the 3300 or should it be untagged?

I typically setup the port that the 3300 is plugged into as untagged to the voice VLAN and do not turn VLAN tagging on in the 3300. That way if things go pear shaped a laptop can be plugged directly into the 3300 controller. If you set the 3300 to tag its packets a laptop would need to have a NIC capable of tagging to directly communicate with the 3300 or you have to use the maintenance command to disable the tagging for trouble shooting.

The is no problem other then the above with using tagged packets in the 3300 as it simplfies programming of the layer 2 switches i.e all ports can be set untagged to default VLAN and tagged to Voice VLAN.

I would say the port you 3300 is plugged into is set for untagged to default and tagged to Voice. Again nothing wrong with that.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back