Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a new Avaya IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezarin

Programmer
Apr 12, 2011
US
Hi,
We had Avaya IP office 406 put in about 7 years ago. The way it was connected was it was directly connected to the PC which has the required software installed. Yesterday the PC hard drive just died and I decided to set up a new PC. Went on support.avaya.com and downloaded the administration and voicemail software both version 5.0 and installed them. I understand the default IP of the IP office device is 192.168.42.1 but when I tried o connect to it in staus section of the IP office software, it kept saying that it cannot be ound. I even pinged it and nothing.

So basically nw I have a cable going from a lan port on the 406 device to the NIC on the PC, not sure what I should do next to get my phones up and running. How should I find the IP address of that device and what o do after that?

Thanks in advance

Use the DTE port on the back of the unit. You can easily see the IP address or even erase the NVRAM and default the system. Use 38.4KBPS, 8 bits, 1 stop bit no parity, no flow control.

Thanks for our reply. I've not done this before so could yo please explain it to me? I just understood you said I should connect to the back of it. Sorry am so new to this phone system. Thanks

You will need a 9 pin serial cable to go between the IPO and a PC. Then use Hyperterminal or some other terminal emulator to access the IPO over the serial interface. Once you are connected you will be at the command line interface where you can querry the system for things such as the IP address. You should download a manual where it will describe the whole process in detail which I am not prepared to go into due to the elaborate nature.

This should get you started:

I would definately get a vendor out there

Connecting to it is the easy part

You still have to program, everything

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

You can try using wireshark, the ipo will send it's ipaddress.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Of course, to make it a little more interesting the DTE port provides the IP address in HEX.

It does indeed :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back