Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a multi-user database

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddydustin

Programmer
Jul 30, 2002
US
Hi guys,

I've recently developed a database locally that will be used by about 10 different users. I anticipate the database growing to about ~250-300 mb, so I'm wondering what the best solution will be for me to allow multiple users. Should I split the database, back-end and front-end, or just allow the users to open the entire database from the server? This is my first attempt at any shared database, and I'm also looking for any other threads or information concerning setting it up (how to do so, what's important, what not to do) and reaching high performance. ANY information on sharing databases with Access would be great. Thanks a lot!

Dustin Lyons

diddydustin

More of an "Other" question than a forms question.

I would split the database. For performance, copy the front end to the desktop. If you have the luxury, roll it out to a few users at first, get their feed back, and then deploy.

Monitor it
- See how fast it grows
- Verify data integrity, watch out for orphans, etc.

Maintain it
- Have a backup plan
- Routinely run the compact and repair process.
- Have an archive plan - when and how to archive old data

If you are concerned about security
- Create a bit of code to track changes. (Some useful info published in the Access forum.)
- If not done, and there is a need, consider invoking security in Access

Best wishes in the successful deployment of your database.

Richard

I agree with Richard and another thing to look into is having any data that is static (Won't change) saved in a table in the front end. Will help with speed issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back