Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Row ID for Set of Like Values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkelly11

MIS
Feb 20, 2003
US
I need to create a numeric value (*EntryID) for each ID that is listed more than once in a table, for example:

ID ContractID EntryID
-- ---------- -------
12 1 1
12 1 2
12 1 3
12 2 1

So long as the ID and Contract are the same over several rows I need to add a "Counter" field...any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mkelly11

Interesting one, this has cursor written all over it, using a cursor would be easiest, if there is a set based solution it'll be interesting but if your not after a cute solution and look at cursors it gives you the option to compare the previous contractID and if the same just increment a variable and if different reset the variable again, writing these back to the table. Is this a static table in that once you have done the numbering no more rows will be added, if so you'll need to create an instead of trigger getting max(entry_id) for contractID enetered.

hope that given you a few ideas

if you need an idea how to construct the cursor let us know.

I have a cursor written, which I believe will work fine. But I'm having a case of the sometimers and just can't get the "Counter" to work correctly. Could you offer any suggestions on syntax based on the example data listed above?

I've seen something like this before on this forum (I would ignore mysticmart - Cursors are evil)

Code:
CREATE TABLE contracts (UniqueID int identity, [ID] int, contractID int)

INSERT INTO contracts ([ID],contractID) values (12,1)
INSERT INTO contracts ([ID],contractID) values (12,2)

SELECT [id],ContractID,(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM contracts c2 WHERE c1.[ID] = c2.[ID] and c1.ContractID = c2.contractID and c2.UniqueID <= c1.UniqueID)EntryID
FROM contracts c1

You could alter the code so that rather than having just the SELECT you UPDATE a table, using the uniqueID to determine which row to update.

Thanks must go to NigelRivett for this solution.

mrees

I am trying to accomplish a version of this SQL statement.

I am trying to assign a row number (gameNum) that corrisponds to the Season and the grouping of that line item.
Season begins in August & ends in July
The grouping is the first three characters of the eventCode

So the first game in the season = 1
Game 2 would be next next line item in the season
...and so on.
Below is my syntax:

SELECT CASE WHEN month(a.event_datetime) >= 8 THEN YEAR(a.event_datetime) ELSE YEAR(a.event_datetime) + 1 END AS season, LEFT(a.eventCode, 3),
(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM events b
WHERE LEFT(a.eventCode, 3) = LEFT(b.eventCode, 3) AND (CASE WHEN month(a.event_datetime) >= 8 THEN YEAR(a.event_datetime)
ELSE YEAR(a.event_datetime) + 1 END) = (CASE WHEN month(b.event_datetime) >= 8 THEN YEAR(b.event_datetime)
ELSE YEAR(b.event_datetime) + 1 END) AND b.event_id <= event_id) gameNum
FROM events a
WHERE (a.eventCode LIKE 'efc%')

...con't
The result is giving me the total count of line items for that season; the number appearing in every row.

What is wrong?

simonsez

I figured it out by using the event_datetime instead of the event_id for the last condition....
Thanks anyway
simonsez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back