Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServeRaid 4M problems after Bios/Firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocklos

Technical User
Mar 15, 2006
DE
Hi out there,

I'm new to this stuff an need help with my ServeRaid 4M.
As the topic said, I've updatet the Bios and firmware from 7.11 to 7.12 because I couldn't see my HD's. After that the PC rebootet and than I got the POST-message "The controler is not responding properly, Error: FFFF".
Type CTRL-I to ..

Trying to press CTRL-I gives nothing, the PC is frozen.

Putting the 4M in another machine let me backlevel the 4M to 6.11, now I can see the drive in this machine, unsuportet as it is an Samsung, but I can see it.

Putting the 4M back into the tragetmachine gives me the same situation as before, ERROR: FFFF and system is frozen.

BTW, both machines are non-IBM and totaly different boards. The 4M was supposed to replace an old HP-Netraid which is working in both machines.

Has anybody seen this before ???
Any hints ??

Greeting
Rainer

Humm, IBM raid controllers in non-IBM servers? Think I found your problem.

Hi ibmtech65,

ok, but this actually didn't help me much.
Are these parts so crappy that they only work on special Mobo's.

Maybe I should take a noname produkt to be shure that it's working.

Anyway, any better ideas ???

It is not that the parts are crappy. IBM raid cards work great in IBM machines that they are designed for. But if you want to take that IBM card and place it in a 3rd party machine there is just no way to say it will work or it will not work. It might work fine in 4 machines and not in the 5th. There is just no way to predict how it is going to work or what you can do to make it work if it does not. It is a compatibility issue.

Thanks,

so I'v to try to get rid of this, not compatible, piece of hardware.

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back