Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seq# of a Group details 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

victora

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
US
I'm trying to create a temporary table needed for another query. This table has multiple records per group as shown. I want to insert a new field (SeqNo) that basically is the seq# of the records within the group. It starts with 1 and increment by 1 for each same MemNum.

Select MemNum, SeqNo, AffCode
From table1
order by MemNum

MemNum SeqNo AffCode
123 1 456
123 2 457
123 3 452

124 1 522
124 2 325
124 3 225
124 4 337

125 1 252
125 2 335

Thank you in advanced
V

This has to be done via a cursor. There are several examples in the forums on how to do it.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Denny,
Thanks for the heads up. If you can show me the link, it will be much appreciated. Looks like I'm getting no result on my search

TIA

What version of SQL Server? Because in SQL 2005 you could use Ranking functions.

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP1, SQL Server 2000/2005.
MVP VFP

If you are using SQL 2005, then use the ranking functions like Boris suggests.

If you are using SQL 2000, then take a look at the following code. In the code example, I create a table variable called @Data. This represents your real table and is shown for testing purposes only. In your final query, you will want to replace @Data with your actual table.

The process shown here creates a temp table variable @Temp with an identity column. By using the identity column and a derived table that returns the minimum identity value per memnum, you can create the SeqNo column.

Code:
[green]-- Setting up test data[/green]
Declare @Data Table(MemNum int, AffCode int)

Insert Into @Data Values(123, 456)
Insert Into @Data Values(123, 457)
Insert Into @Data Values(123, 452)
Insert Into @Data Values(124, 522)
Insert Into @Data Values(124, 325)
Insert Into @Data Values(124, 225)
Insert Into @Data Values(124, 337)
Insert Into @Data Values(125, 252)
Insert Into @Data Values(125, 335)

[green]-- Query begins here[/green]
Declare @Temp Table(RowId Int Identity(1,1), SeqNo Int, MemNum Int, AffCode int)

Insert Into @Temp(MemNum, AffCode)
Select MemNum, AffCode
From   @Data
Order By MemNum

Update T
Set    SeqNo = RowId - MinRowId + 1
From   @Temp T
       Inner Join (
         Select Min(RowId) As MinRowId, MemNum
         From   @Temp
         Group By MemNum
         ) As A
         On T.MemNum = A.MemNum

Select MemNum, SeqNo, AffCode 
From   @Temp
Order By RowId

You should be able to copy/paste this query in to Query Analyzer and run it as is to see how it works.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

hi george,(gmmastros)

It so happen that we are still on SQL2000. (sigh!)
But I was able to put your solution into work, create the table I need prior to the big query, and it works like a charm!

If only I can give you 5 stars! you saved my going back and forth from crystal to access to sql.

Thanks everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back