Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security

Status
Not open for further replies.

lara19

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
PH
Im an administrator of a workstation that is part of a domain. I recently noticed that the ink on the printer that is attached to my workstation is empty. I havent used the printer for 3 days and i recently changed my ink cartridges. The logical answer to my problem is that someone is using my comp on my day off and prints loads of documents. How can i check who is using my comp and using my printer? I want to know the time, the account (user) and the date of their log in. Is there a way to find out? I checked the event viewer but it didn't help me much. Thanks.

Greetings,

Well without using third party software:

If you are the only person who uses the machine you could look in "c:\documents and settings" for any users other than yourself, "default user" or "all users". If you deleted these and turned off the machine before you go, when you come back into work and log back in take a look in "documents and settings" again. If there is another users folder (ie:JaneM) you would know that they had logged onto the machine; you could find out when by viewing the folder properties and checking the "created" date.

I have no suggestions regarding the monitoring of the printer unfortunately.

Hope that Helped.
Russell.

lara,
if you enable auditing in group policy you can audit successful logons and logoffs. This will give you a username and time they logged on and when they logged off. In the system log???? it will show you if and when they printed. Hope this helps

I think someone is trying to fool you.
I had one site where they would replace the supervisors chair every night. Another where they would replace the desk mat the chair rolled over; another where they would occasionally repaint the walls a different color; another where they would glue your desk drawers closed; one clever group rekeyed the locks to everything in the supervisors office; and one site removed all the ceiling tiles.

"They" are saying they either really like you, or something worse.

what third party software could i use?

Just go to your control panel select administrative tools. Find the local security policy snap-in, once opened go to the local policies folder and choose the subfolder audit policy. You want to turn on audit login events success and failure. Once this is set you can find out who logs into the PC or attempts to by checking the event viewer under security.

Is this a Shared printer? Do you leave your computer on but locked or logged out? If so, someone could be printing to that printer while not logging into your computer. However, this may also show up if you audit security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back