Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems following installation of Kaspersky Internet Security on older XP SP3 laptop with Broadcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ngolem

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
CA
A friend of mine has asked for help solving a puzzling problem.

He was given an older Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which was wiped clean of user files but the computer operated reasonably well. The battery was shot but it operated on the AC adapter ok.

To add virus protection he installed the free version of AVG and started to use the computer for basic internet stuff and letter writing. AVG never found any malware on the computer other than a few tracking cookies.

When the computer booted the screen showed the Dell logo and then went into a routine of trying to load Broadcom UNDI.... it was looking for a cable and something else and not finding it would then load XP in the normal manner with no problems.

After a while he decided to purchase a better anti-virus as he had plans for more intensive use of this machine on the internet.

So he purchased Kaspersky Internet Security and installed it on this machine. The installation went well and seemed normal. He updated the software and then ran a "quick scan". Apparently it found an incidence of malware that was not found by AVG. the software advised him to restart his computer to complete the disinfection process.

The computer never restarted... it runs through the same procedure to activate Broadcom and when it finds out that this cannot be activated it then gives a message that it cannot start the operating system.

I have a feeling that the malware identified by Kaspersky is related to Broadcom. I tried pressing F8 to get into Safe mode but since XP cannot be started that does not work.

It almost sounds to me that this Broadcom is a chip installed on the mother board or something like that. Can I remove the broadcom problem???

I don't think it is an XP problem per se but I hope placing this issue here will give me some ideas

Jim Broadbent

I think you're wasting your time A) trying to repair a broken XP installation without reloading and B) working with that old computer and old O.S.

If you really want to continue, you should get the correct CD (ebay?) and do a fresh install or a repair install if you want to try that first.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Agree with the Goom's assessment A, but disagree with his B. There is a lot of life left with XP in the right circumstances.

Not sure that I would worry about the right CD at this point. Any Dell XP install CD will work with the laptop but anything less than SP3 will require SP upgrades so would suggest looking for one already there. Will also require Dell upgrades to make things work, Chipset first, then in any order sound, network, and video.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

He still needs the correct CD - XP home vs. XP pro vs. XP media center edition!!!

There is a lot of life left with XP in the right circumstances.
Well, why don't you enlighten us as to those circumstances. I believe what you mean is "limited usage" and probably keeping it off the internet. As a general use for everyday computing OS, it's pretty risky to be running it without security updates.

I have no problem with generaly unlimited usage. Have an active AV, careful about linking to unknown websites, and no linking to stuff through email. Know where your data is stored and back it up. Be prepared to reload everything if you do get hit with something.

A little paranoia is good, there are people out there that want to hurt you.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You just described everything that the average user is NOT - careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back