Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secuity + 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftout

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
US
I am going to take the exam for this cert next week and was wondering why the bar is set so high for this cert compared to others. Minimum score to pass is 764 on a scale of 100 - 900. My math says you need almost 85% to pass. I emailed Comptia over a week ago asking this question but as of yet have not received a reply. Anyone have any ideas or an answer?

Any recomendations as to which Cisco hardware to purchase for setting up a lab? Of course it needs to be new enough to learn Ciscoease but also cheap enough I don't have to hawk my house. While we're at it, any recommendations for a home Cisco firewall that might protect my home network and help me learn what configuration stuff that I might be tested on?
Do we need to start a new thread somewhere else on this since we are no longer discussing CompTia stuff or is everyone OK as it is?

leftout,
You might want to move over to the Cisco forum - you will find lots of info under the Cisco certification forum.

As far as equipment - for CCNA you should have at least 3 routers and 2 switches,

For routers you can still learn a ton from a Cisco 2501, 2503 or 2514 (You want a 2500 that does Ethernet) with 16 mgs DRAM and 16 mgs FLASH (that is the max for these) you also want at least a 12.2 or newer IOS. You can find these routers on eBay for about $75 each. You may also consider a 2610-11 or 2620-21 - these are newer, faster and a little more then the 2500s on eBay, you will also need to spend more on WICs to connect them serial to serial.

Google Cisco 2611 and learn about what you are looking to buy - same for the 2500s - Google it and learn - then you will be a better buyer!!

As for switches you can look for the 2912s or 2924s - 2950s are what the test is based on but they are a little pricy at about $600 each.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I realize that this has become a Cisco discussion rather than a Security+ discussion, but for those who can't afford to go out and spend $1000+ on Cisco equipment, there are simulators out there, specifically geared toward learning IOS and passing Cisco exams.

I used Boson's when I took a Cisco class, but there may be other/better ones now. I'm not sure about the cost, but it could be cheaper than buying the hardware.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back