Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secuity + 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftout

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
US
I am going to take the exam for this cert next week and was wondering why the bar is set so high for this cert compared to others. Minimum score to pass is 764 on a scale of 100 - 900. My math says you need almost 85% to pass. I emailed Comptia over a week ago asking this question but as of yet have not received a reply. Anyone have any ideas or an answer?

I think the real answer would be... During a technical interview, would you tell a prospective employer that you passed your certification using Testking?

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOS/T,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

I have an opportunity to take Sec+ at a New Horizons class. Obviously I'm having problems on my own! Has anyone used this facility? I have only been in to take cert tests and have no idea if it's worth the investment. They don't promise a cert as part of the class which I like. They offered to keep the doors open after hours at the end of the class if I wanted to test then. I'm 200 miles from the nearest facility and thought this was a nice offer. I have read that New Horizons is being sued for promises they couldn't keep with their online classes but I'm not sure if that makes them bad or just bad promoting. Anyone have an experience to share?

NH really varies from location to location. Are you paying for the class or is your emplyer? You hear more negative stories than success stories. If it comes down to an economic decision, I would say save your money and invest in additional study materials and self study. $.02

My employer will pick up the tab on this. It is of my choice not theirs.
I feel that this certification is an important one to hold and could help leverage wage increases etc. I see security becoming more and more important to a networks exixtence. Am I placing too much weight on this certification? Does the industry give it any merit? Should I quit trying to squeeze out the one question I've missed this cert by twice and jump ship?

Personally, I never give up. Just because it drives me crazy....

Anyway, have you done any of the "practice" tests included with the study material you already have to identify weak areas? What to you feel are your weak areas (domains)?

I'll totally agree that security is becoming more and more detrimental to a networks existance, and, I'm sorry to say this, I don't necessarily see Security + filling any sort of hole for displaying competence for "network security". I view it as a very broad overview of security as a whole. I'd call it "what MCP is to MCSE, Security + is to CISSP (the mother of all security certifications)". Gives you a broad sense of what you might deal with.

As far a New Horizons, I have never attended any of their courses myself, so only hearing stories second hand. The majority of what I hear is they prepare you for the tests, but, and I don't know how to word this any other way, not for the real world. Seems like a lot of that going on out there.

Don't get me wrong though, any training will supplement what you have done on your own. Besides, if someone is willing to pay it, I might attend them, just not out of my own pocket.

Maybe we can help in some of the areas you are weak in. Let us know....

Another thing to consider is the way you learn - that is, some people learn well by reading, others by doing, others by listening. It pays to have a look at yourself and take note of when you seem to have succeeded "easily"; were you learning a differnt way?

As an alternative to reading books I've found an interesting source of training material on MP3 and Video.
Have a look at:

You can download free samples so you get an idea of how well they gel for you.

Good luck
Dave
<add certifications here>

Kactus

I have decided to go the listening route and have enrolled in a week long security+ course at New Horizons. I will be taking the exam immediately after the last class. They wanted me to digest the class for awhile but with my failure record I convinced them otherwise. I'm hoping the third time is a charm. I'm finding that at age 55 that retention doesn't come as easy as it used to! If anyone would like some feedback on my experience at New Horizons I will post after November 17th when I have finished and most hopefully have earned my certificate.

Good luck with that! What do they say? The third one's the charm!

Let us know what happens,
Dave

I have gone through the NH class and it was OK at best. They use the Microsoft Security book to teach it (at least at the class I attended) and the teacher was very knowledgable. However, I would say you'd have better luck buying the Sybex book for around $35, reading thought it, and then just doing the practice exams over and over again rather than paying for the NH course. But, the the more knowledge you have the better I suppose.

I am in the same boat as you, got a 731 my first try and then 684 on my second. But on the second try I didn't get a chance to put a lot of effort into brushing up on what I needed to. I am confident the third try will be a charm also.

Good luck!!

I have completed my week at NH at I was able to leave Sec+ certified. I was the only paying customer. The other participant was a retake. I will echo that the class was OK at best. I won't elaborate much on this.
I did look at Testking for the first time. I did not realize that their questions are verbatum as to what is on the test. I would like to feel that my many months of study are what pushed me over the top but I can't also help feel like reading the exact questions and answers is was what did it. I guess one salvation is there were questions on my exam I did not see in Testking. The other salvation is my memory is getting so bad that I probably struggled through a lot of questions I had seen on Testking and had already forgotten the answers. I'm going to run with the idea that I finally got lucky and I was asked what I actually knew. I do feel after a year of off and on studying I do comprehend the material.

I'm open at this point. I see a need to work with Cisco firewalls and ACL's but I don't want a cert. that expires every two years. I'm also leaning toward something Microsoft with Active Directory at the top of the list. Any suggestions.

Don
A+,Net+,Server+,Sec+

leftout,

If you're "leaning toward something Microsoft with Active Directory at the top of the list", then MCSE would fit the bill, and doesn't expire, but you'd need another 6 exams (using Security+ as your elective) to complete MCSE.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Just passed my Security + too leftout. Like you, the third time was a charm. I used Measure up practice tests along with the Sybex Book to pass.

Next up, probably the CCNA.

A+, Net +, working toward Security + and CCNA....

Endeavor to persevere.

Good job CCns23! I'm glad to hear you hung in there! Beside it would have sucked to be a three time loser. That thought kept running through my head anyway.
I'm also leaning a little towards CCNA. Have any study plans you'd care to share? Any idea what it's all about?

Well, I bought the Cisco Press Intro and ICND books, the Sybex CCNA book, and the Boson Net Sim software. The school I attended also gave me a Measure Up suite of tests that I can take online. I am trying to finagle (sp?) a couple routers and a switch here from work that I can use to set up a home lab. I figure between all that I should be able to get a good feel for things, hopefully.

I did already attend a boot camp, but that was last year sometime and will probably go to another prior to taking the exam. I know it's a hard one to pass, but I also know it's worth it in the long run.

The test itself has some sims in it along with the usual mult choice questions. I know you need a high score to pass and most fail on the first attempt. Know your subnetting and how to configure routers/switches. Know the troubleshooting process. Study, study, study. Hopefully, it doesn't take us three trys on this one :)

A+, Net +, working toward Security + and CCNA....

Congrats, CCns23!

I don't know your financial situation, but a friend of mine who passed the CCNA did so by picking up a couple of used Cisco routers on eBay and then reselling them after the exam. He broke about even after shipping.

Nothing beats hands on experience, and of course if you can borrow them, then you'd be out no money.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I agree 100% with you Wishdiak. Hands on experience is definately the way to go. I should be able to get a couple routers and a switch from work to play around with. Better to get it free than fork out the $$$. Eventhough, like you said, I would probably break even if I bought some equipment.

We'll see how things progress. Need a week or so to get my brain back from all the studing for the Security +. Thanks!!

A+, Net +, Security +, onto the CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back