Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secuity + 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftout

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
US
I am going to take the exam for this cert next week and was wondering why the bar is set so high for this cert compared to others. Minimum score to pass is 764 on a scale of 100 - 900. My math says you need almost 85% to pass. I emailed Comptia over a week ago asking this question but as of yet have not received a reply. Anyone have any ideas or an answer?

Cut scores are established after the beta exam has run. The final score is derived by some psychometric voodoo. It's not just some arbitrary number that CompTIA decided. It represents the weighted average of peolpe who took the beta exam.

Given as this is an exam for technicians with 2 years of security experience, I wouldn't think the cut score is that high. Entry level exams have a lower cut score because they are, well entry level.

Study well. It's not a beginners exam.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Glister, thanks for the insight, comments, suggestions and tips. I did quickly hit the link you gave and see it will be another great source of learning. I will re-enter the sponge mode for another week before the exam.

leftout,

Although the 764 score seems high, the questions are straighforward and if you know the concepts well enough, you should be able to pass it the first time.

Not that I did, but that was the result of poor preparation.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

764 was too high for me! I managed a 756. I did learn alot about studying. You CAN study too much. I was sizzled by test time. I'll take a break for the holidays and hit it again.
Thanks glister for the link to certguide. I found the reading easy to absorb on that site. I guess I should have absorbed just a little more!

looks like you can do it next try if you were only off by a couple questions or so on the first attempt...

Looks like you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I took the exam on Friday and missed it by even a few more points this time. I scored over 81% this time but that's not enough. Comptia must have a good pool of questions as I only remember a very few repeats. I will retake it again. I will admit that learning at 55 is not as easy as it was at 20 but I'm now on a mission. I'm having fun though so it could be worse. I almost have three years experience as a helpdesk technician and see after taking the exams some administrative exposure would be a great help.
I have only reported my experinces to this list as it might help the next person looking for this certification. These exams aren't cheap and if nothing else someone might realize you really need to be prepared. As Glister said this is not an entry level certification.
Anybody want to tutor a fossil??

Leftout
A+ Net+ Server+ and maybe.....

leftout,

CompTIA exams are indeed not cheap, as you put it.

From my own experience, I failed the Security+ on my first try, but I took it right after passing a Microsoft exam and underestimated its difficulty.

I studied much harder the second time and passed it with just 1 question wrong out of 100. What are you using for study material?

Wishdiak

Wishdiak

I have incorporated the following into my studying:

Certiguide to Security+ (compliments to glister)
CBT Direct Security+ (web)
Mike Meyers Security+ (he's my favorite for ease of reading)
Security+ For Dummies (I was sure this would put me over the top!)

leftout,

Do any of those include any practice tests?

I had studied up with Certiguide and some Thompson Press book that included practice questions in abundance. I can see if I can locate the book or the exact title if you'd like.

Wishdiak

Wishdiak

I have taken a multitude of practice tests. Maybe 300 questions or so. I've taken the practice tests so many times my responses are mechanical rather than methodical.I will say I find the test questions much harder than any practice questions. I also have found a few questions on the test that are not covered by any of my materials.
I stay away from brain dumps as I would really like to think I have earned my cert.
I'm open to any suggestions for study material or even study methods. I do have a stack of 3x5 cards I put together. I'm on a mission to complete this cert. Sooner or later!

leftout,

I can't seem to find the physical book that I used around, but this looks like it.

The test prep questions were similar enough in difficulty that passing the Security+ was not too much of a challenge.

Wishdiak

leftout,

Have you managed to pass the Security+ exam yet? I'm in the same boat you were. Just barely missed the passing score by a couple of questions on my first two tries...

Doletopia
I have taken the summer off as far as studying. I take a quiz here and there to refresh the old brain cells but that's about it. I do plan on getting back on track when the days get shorter. The good part is I'm getting more practical experience and should have a better chance at some educated guesses. I am determined to aquire sec.+. or go broke trying as Comptia is a little pricey!

Leftout and Doletopia,
Have you guys looked into:

I used them on my security + and saved ~$70. Granted, you have to pay to get the voucher, but you do save more than you spend....

I hate to say it but the best place I have ever found to get help with the exam is testking.org The study guide is $99 dollars, but thats for explainations and questions...

You got to decide - Do I want to be "Paper Certified" or understand this stuff!!

You can call yourself anything you want but memorizing the test questions and answers is not a certified anything and you will fool yourself only so long!

For most they get caught in the interview, I have know others that were fired several weeks later when it was found they did not know anything more then the right answers on an exam!

Testking and brain dumps = paper cert!

It will catch up with you in the real world !

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

CiscoGuy has an excellent point. I have long hated the "paper cert" individuals of the world. It makes those that busted our butts to get the cert a little less worthy. "He has a cert, so what, look what happened with Charlie. He had that cert and didn't know anything..."Type of attitudes are getting more and more abundant in the job market.

Don't get me wrong. If you are capable of performing the task because you know the answer, that's different, and it does show on interviews....

ericarivera411 said:
The [TestKing] study guide is $99 dollars, but thats for explainations and questions...

Are they the right answers? I've personally seen TestKing have incorrect, or even missing answers for MCSE exams. Hardly a bargain for $99, and besides, what's the cost of a good Security+ book (with explanations) that comes with a practice CD (with questions and answers)?

I think the one I used cost about $30. It may have been more, I don't remember, but if one plans to get a job in the field there is more to doing the job than knowing the answers to the TestKing questions.

Wishdiak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back