Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate Freeagent ext HDD 500GB only sees 32GB 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi hoping someone maybe able to help.
I have a SEAGATE Freeagent external HDD which is supposed to be 500GB. However, in the past, it has been formatted in such a way that it only returns 32GB. Every time I try to reformat it, I can get nothing other than 32GB.
Not sure what I’ve done in the past but some how I’ve restricted in size.
Anyone any ideas what I have done and better still what I can do to rectify the size issue.

Any help would be appreciated

Chris

This How-To Geek article describes two ways to format large drives past the 32GB FAT32 limit (imposed by Windows' built-in GUI format tool).

Hope this helps...

Hi Rick998 Thanks for the link. Have tried it but to no avail. Even using that GUI the HDD still stubbornly remains at 32GB
I think, as it is a couple of years old I will let it pass on to the HDD scrap yard

Thanks

Chris

Then you'll need to use the legacy DISKPART command (in an admin-level console) to first CLEAN the disk of its current partitioning and format. Just be very careful that you identify the correct disk (using LIST).

For example, using Windows 10, have a look at this How to use DiskPart to clean and format drive not working on Windows 10 article.

Note: Due to its storage limit of 4GB per file, I would suggest formatting as NTFS for resilience unless you have a particular reason (OS portability?) for using FAT32.

Hope this helps...

I can confirm that the information immediately above this post is what to do. If that doesn't work, something is badly wrong.
Either before or after the diskpart, you should use SeaTools to see if the drive is okay before you put it back in service.

Thanks Rick 998 and goombawaho
I have resolved my issue by going into 'Disk Management'. There I found that the HDD in question had a partition which was unallocated. I therefore went through the process of allocating that space and hey presto I have a working partition. I can live with that. [I now have two partitions both accessible]

Thanks for your assistance. appreciated

Chris
I'm learning every day - even at my age!

Still wouldn't be a bad idea to test the drive (Quick/SMART test) and a full scan before you put it back into service.

Thanks goombawaho. Took your advice and hard drive passed.

Thanks to both you and Rick998 for you help and guidance, appreciated

Chris

It is customary here at TT to award a Star for helpful post(s) by clicking on[blue] Great post! [/blue]Link.
[wink]
---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Andy
Of course, it is awhile since visiting TT, having retired 11 years ago, but that should not have stopped me from being courteous and recognising the help my fellow TT'ers have given me.
Hopefully remedied now.

Best wishes to all
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back