Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clone only recovery paritition to new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I've got a customer that has a dead hard drive in an HP All-in-one. HP is sending me a replacement hard drive but it has nothing on it. Customer has another identical machine. Wondering if it's quicker for me, given all the Windows 7 updates, to clone the recovery partition on a working machine to the new hard drive and the run the recovery OR just reload windows 7 from scratch and update.

If I did the cloning, I'd have to change the Windows 7 key code, I suppose. Any thoughts on which is the better road to travel or if most cloning programs could transfer the recovery partition and make it functional?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Well, let's see. You buy a laptop with OEM windows. That windows is bound to that laptop for life. We all know that. But buying ONLY an OEM copy of Windows to put on that same machine? For example if you had Windows 8 Home and wanted to downgrade without any downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro. This needs to be nailed down.

Says here: Link
Q. Can a system builder install Microsoft OEM software on a refurbished computer system, which may include branded PCs, such as Hewlett-Packard and Compaq?

A. Yes, as long as the system builder complies with the OEM System Builder License requirements for preinstallation and distribution of the OEM Microsoft software licenses, and the customer accepts the Microsoft Software License Terms. For more information, visit the OEM System Builder License page

The windows is bound to the original laptop. The laptop isn't bound to the original windows.

I had originally suggested a retail licensed version since it can be moved between machines.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

OK, here's the deal. OEM licenses are meant for newly built computers or for refurbished computers that have had significant hardware upgrades. If a computer from HP, for example, has not been modified or the modifications are minor, then you are NOT legally allowed to install an OEM copy of Windows on that computer (i.e., you cannot upgrade Windows 7 OEM to Windows 8.1 OEM). Some downgrades are allowed (see link). When Microsoft considers a used PC refurbished is anyone's guess, but Microsoft definitely will agree that it's refurbished when the motherboard is replaced or upgraded. Other components that have been upgraded may or may not qualify.

The OEM license states that there must be two parties involved - the system builder and the end user. The system builder is only the installer and must sell the computer to a third party and provide software support. You cannot be both the system builder and the end user. There are, however, two OEM versions of Windows that can be used for personal use: Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro (see link). Note that this exception does NOT include Windows 8.1.

So technically, if you're not modifying a used PC that has a Windows OEM installed, then the only options are:
[ol 1]
[li]Keep that version of Windows[/li]
[li]Downgrade along Microsoft's supported path[/li]
[li]Upgrade to a retail version[/li]
[/ol]

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks. That's what I thought!!!! Of course it WOULD install and activate........

and

You cannot be both the system builder and the end user.
I'm sure nobody would ever do this. Wink, wink.

I'm sure nobody would ever do this. Wink, wink.

No, never. [noevil]

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

But then nobody has mentioned the ebay agreement where MS has allowed the sale of OEM software when accompanied by memory or hard drive.

You'll still see that option, although in most cases tje memory or hard drive are defective. At least the letter of the agreement is met.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Obtaining OEM software and the license to install it are two separate things. When you break the seal on the OEM software, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions mentioned above.

-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back