Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDS - Remove elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnniehec

Technical User
Aug 29, 2012
GB
Hi All, Searching through for help with this, thread1329-1682186 is the most recent post I could find so have opened this new one.
Having been quoted an extortionate amount, in both time and ££££s, I'm looking to do this myself. We have a SDS cluster of two vMCDs and three MXes all running MCD 8 SP3 and need to remove, decommission and scrap the three MXes. Working through the embedded help file "SDS - Removing a Data-Sharing Element" I've completed items 1 - 3 and removed all extensions, resilience, group and rerouting data from the three MXes and all remote directory and other references to them from the vMCDs. My question is; after I complete step 4 Log on to element B and disable the SDS option in the System Options form and 5 Log on to element A, access the Cluster Elements form and delete element B as a cluster element. do I need to complete step 6 Reinstall the system software on element B to remove the cluster programming data (PNI for the cluster, CEID indexes and CEID digits for the other elements, and so forth) from element B. on the MXes being removed and scrapped or does this only need to be done if they are going to continue to be used as standalone systems?

Thank you,
John.

Johnniehec said:
on the MXes being removed and scrapped or does this only need to be done if they are going to continue to be used as standalone systems?

Correct, but even in that case I would probably format the drive and do a fresh software install.

When did the REMOVENE <Network Element Name> & REMOVESHARINGNE <Network Element Name> command get introduced? This does everything for you in terms of removing network elements. If it's available on your version, in Maintenance commands check the help file for the description of how to use them.

I had completed all the clearing out steps and switched off SDS sharing from the first MXe and all was well, but when I deleted the element from the DLM (last step) it threw up a Licence violation alarm, had to reinstate the element to clear the cluster lic violation and re-sync to clear the local MXe lic violation. Will now re- visit quote to see what AMC correction will cost.

Unless things have changed significantly, all it takes is an email to the AMC to get them to remove a system from license sharing.

Caution though, the system will take with it whatever licenses the base package contained. Typically 20 IP Licenses.

If you do not know how many licenses the system had before sharing find out before removing license sharing.

releasing the arid in the amc will stop the License violation alarm.
Amc may be able to migrate some licenses across but as KWB suggested if it had a base pack assigned it may be fixed to teh ARID and unmovable

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back