Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCN issues MPLS Echo and One Way Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

desphoneguy

Vendor
Sep 29, 2005
CA
Hello Everyone,

We have 7 IP Office Rel 9 installed with SCN and using MPLS from the ISP

We are having issues with echo at times and lately we are having one way audio. At first we thought it was related to to just site but now any site to any site could experience echo and one way audio.

Of course the ISP is blaming the IPO's and the customer is believing the ISP, because we all know that ISP's are always right.

Any ideas on what I can confront the ISP with because I am at my wits end.

HELP PLEASE

Well, the ISP is never wrong until we prove them wrong.

When this happened to me in the worst cases I ended up putting a laptop at each site and logging the traffic with wireshark in front of their router.
When you send them the file where it sounds like fine in one end and like crap coming out of the other they usually run out of excuses. If you have firewalls at each site you could do a pcap trace in them.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

We are in the process if setting up wireshark.

As a note the system is using TLS from the ISP, on dedicated ports on the ISP's fibre switches at each location.

Thanks

Good Day Everyone,

Due to privacy issues the customer is not allowing us to record the voice conversations, does anybody have any other ideas?

So they won't let you prove that it's the ISPs fault?

Does the problem come and go?
Or could you do the test after hours?
If they can put up mirroring ports on the switches you could trace one specific IP-phone.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Ok... So let him live with erros. Seems to be better than finding the issue...

The voice traffic is carried by the network, any voice issues are due to the network, simple as that. Always has been and always will be the case, they don't beleieve it? Have them prove otherwise if they won't let you :)

BTW I had a similar arsehole customer and in the end proved it with the RTP stream data in monitor showing packet loss and jitter on the calls, they changed carriers in the end and believe us before anyone else now. It's not all about who wears the biggest trousers and shouts the loudest :)

Good Day Everyone,

Due to privacy issues the customer is not allowing us to record the voice conversations, does anybody have any other ideas?

I have several

provide a price to install a voice quality monitoring solution This will show that they have problems and if correcty configured which hop in the network is causing the issue. However the costs are on teh customer

Strongly recommend that you be allowed to do traffic captures in various strategic places - and explain that this is a requirement to diagnose their issue. there is no need to disclose these captures outside the company anyway.

Walk away, the customer won't let you do your job

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

I had a one way audio issue due to the allow direct media path feature enabled on the h323 extensions. Once i turned that feature off on the affected extensions the issue went away.

Update regarding Issues

We have digital sets installed at each location. And we are using a TLS connection provided by the ISP, and the IP Office's are connected directly to the ISP's fibre switches.

The echo and clipping are intermittant.

Hi amriddle01

you stated " RTP stream data in monitor showing packet loss and jitter on the calls" can you let me know what settings you were monitoring so that I can streamline the monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back