Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Savings on Maintenance contract? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mars1947

Technical User
Mar 9, 2005
US
We are looking to save some money on our maintenance contract,we are being charged $17,000 a year from BellSouth for maintenance of 26 Digital and Analog cards in our Option 11. Would BellSouth allow us to drop that part of the maintenance contract and have a couple of each card on stock?

One thing to look at is, are they also including phones. If so I would drop the phones and see what it cost just for switch level.

THERE CHARGING YOU $3.50 A PORT WHICH INCLUDES PHONE, I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER COMPANIES OUT THERE THAT WILL GIVE YOU A BREAK IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THE PHONES. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GET A COUPLE OF EACH PHONE AND KEEP THEM HANDY

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

only your local contacts can answer that, usually you can get by cheaper if you exclude sets.. that sounds a little high but i don't see the numbers that often.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

more than 3.50 a port....

26 cards X 16 ports = 416 ports

17,000.00 / 416 is like 40.00+ per port.

TAnselm:
Yes is 40.00 per port but per year, after all it comes down to 3.40-3.50 per port per month.

David
Evertec
Puerto Rico

Thanks, we will talk to our service rep on Thursday after Ernesto goes by, time to hunker down.

Why not eliminate the cards as well and try for a switch only contract? I was able to do that for 4 PBX's at four locations for less than $12,000 a year. This is also on an Avaya platform, which is historically higher thank Nortel. At my old job (back in the Nortel days), I had 3 Option 11's covered for less than $6,000 a year, and those were switch only. Line cards are cheap, so if you can get them to only cover the core and the cabinet, you can save a bunch.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

You might also try looking at some other companies. We had the same problem with SBC at my site. For monitoring only they where charging us 12,000.00 a year. I found a vendor that is only charging us 1200.00 a year now and they are better at responding to alarms then SBC ever was. Time and materials is a better deal than SBC charges also. The company is TRCA. You can check them out on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back