Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Document onto Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

InternVirtuoso

Programmer
May 20, 2003
US
I have sucessfully been able to populate a Word document with information from an Access database. The Word document pops up in a window for the user to save onto their computer.

My boss just asked me to change this so that the file is automatically saved onto the user's computer. He wants me to be able to locate the user's temp directory and then save the file automatically. This file would later be accessed as an attachment to an automatic email.

The problem is that I don't think that this is possible(or ethical for that matter)

If this is not possible, then is there a way to automatically save the file onto the server?

thanks.

It is possible if you use an ActiveX control in the browser. Of course the user must agree to install it.

To save the file on the server from ASP code you can use the FileSystemObject ActiveX control. You will find all sorts of examples of using it here and on msdn.microsoft.com

-pete

"This file would later be accessed as an attachment to an automatic email."
--why not just generate simple HTML that is formated as a word docuemnt and email it right way? does it have to be stored as a MS Word?

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Thanks Pete, but my boss didn't like the idea of using activeX or the fact that the user would have to agree to save it. He wants it all to be automatic.

Lebisol: Are you saying to just make an html page look like a word document? It would have to be stored with the '.doc' extension. Is that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back