Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAV 8.1 realtime not working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephyran

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
We have SAV 8.01 running on a Windows 2000 Server, serving about 2 dozen clients who are all either SAV 8.0 or 8.01. Suddenly the other day the Realtime Protection service quit working (the shield icon in the system tray has the red warning circle over it) even though the RTVscan.exe process is still running.

Whenever I try to run a Manual Scan on that server (from SSC), I immediately get "Scan stopped by user". Running it from the server itself nets Scan Engine "error 0x20000058". It does, however, still pull down definition updates and send them to clients.

I've tried stopping and starting the SAV services, but they lock up on "Stopping" and won't respond again until reboot. Clearing the temp files, as recommended by Symantec, does not help.

Had anyone run into this, and have any suggestions?

It turns out that the problem is more extensive than this (it happens with all services, not just SAV), although I did try the suggestions in the Symantec knowledgebase. Neither worked. I'm hesitant to try to upgrade the SAV software, though, since I don't know how it will react with the system behaving as it is.

I found the problem. The PAC PBE Client service (APC PowerChute Business Edition) was hanging at startup, and taking part of the SAV services with it. I set the APC service to Manual and rebooted, and now all is working fine again.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the heads-up, darksasami; I've set the rest of my servers' PBE services to Manual startup, until I have time to install the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back