Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same sounding words many meanings. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ
The things one thinks of in the shower.

Ok, so my partner is Vietnamese, and their language is difficult to master due to one word might have five meanings depending on how it is said and in what context. Typical far eastern language.

But English as we know likes to break its own rules and have a few words that sound the same, spelt differently with different meanings.

What came to mind:

Pour
Poor
Pore
Paw

I can think of several differing meanings for those four words that basically sound identical (perhaps you are American and really push the "r" sound, but that is another conversation about "English!")

Can anyone think of some more obscure words like this?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Yeah, I admit I didn't put a lot of effort into my post. [bigsmile] I had just ordered some new contact lenses and tossed it out there without really re-reading the original post.

But just to be belligerent (it is Monday)...

Contacts = Sites for electrical connections

Maybe we need to stick this thread on a hanger and then put the hanger in a hangar.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Personally I find I type do instead of due but never dew.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

I see a large number of people using "your" in places that "you're" is correct (or even in place of "yore").

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Barn a large farm building used for storing grain, hay, or straw or livestock.

Barn a serious unit of area used by nuclear physicists to quantify the scattering of very small particles, such as atomic nuclei.

The name derives from the folk expression "Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn", used by particle accelerator physicists to refer to the difficulty of achieving a collision between particles.

Outhouse and Shed are even smaller units.

@ Yelworcm ... I loved the Abbott and Costello routine

mscallisto you need to be careful of what you're storing in an outhouse. Where I'm from it's a very different from a shed!

Came across this question elsewhere yesterday.

Although the question was taken as facetious/rhetorical, I think it is relevant to this thread

Considering that cent and sent sound alike, which letter, s or c, would be considered silent in the word scent?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

In misundestood song lyrics, often same sounding phrases are spanning multiple words.
For example, "Isle of.." vs "I love" can be applied to very many songs which get a whole new meaning.

A very comprehensive archive of such similar sounding phrases is available at
Bye, Olaf.

Mufasa said:
...I believe that set holds the record for a single word with multiple meanings: 464.

Interesting. I researched Googled that and found an article that claims "run" as the enumerated definition champ:

NY Times said:
It took Peter Gilliver, the O.E.D. lexicographer working on the letter R, more than nine months harnessed to the duties of what Samuel Johnson once called “a harmless drudge” (plus many more months of preparatory research) to work out what he believes are all the meanings of “run.” And though some of the senses and their derivations try him — Why does a dressmaker run up a frock? Why run through a varlet with a sword? How come you run a fence around a field? Why, indeed, run this essay? — Mr. Gilliver has finally calculated that there are for the verb-form alone of “run” no fewer than 645 meanings. A record.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

How about adding a type of anagram into the mix: If you wanted to deal with the entirety of a cave or mine that was completely religiously inspiring you would have the whole wholly holy hole...

(it's Friday, go easy on me. LOL )

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Then their r sum spellnig errurs that are unintentionally amusing;

especially when one considers the juxtaposition of image and erroneous wording

I have enquired if he offers a alternative "gender" order service.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

So, you want homophones...?

Buy
By
Bye
Bi (polar)

Course
Coarse
Corse
Cores (per socket)

Mack (Trucks)
Mc (Donalds)
MAC (Apple)
Mac (-Beth)
Mach (speed of sound)
Mak (Flower)

Faq
F*ck
Fock (quantum mechanics)
Foque (sail)

To
Too
Two
Tue

Verses
Versus

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Interesting... In my poor, country-boy dialect, I pronounce cores with a "z" sound on the end and mach with an "ah" sound instead of an "'a" sound (like apple). I also pronounce FAQ with an "'a" sound, too.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

There are three ways to pronounce Mach:)
Ma-ch /mɑːx/
Ma-ak /mɑːk/
Mac /mæk/

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

I'm on a very large project. We have been having many tests of our "Go Live"; these tests are called Mocks. Of course, when we reached Mock 5, I couldn't resist frequent comments about Speed Racer's car:
Of course many of the younger people had no idea what I was talking about.

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back