Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sad News 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

budbyrd

Vendor
Jul 28, 2011
US
I had a good run with the IP Office and have helped a lot of people. When our salesman retired they didn't replace him it was a sign that maybe they would be moving away from this product. After 17 years of service without being a disciplinary problem suddenly I was a problem. They wrote me up twice for failures in our dispatch department for which I was blamed. The sacked me at the end of February.

Good news America is in a labor crunch. I have 32 years in a variety of fields with a college degree. I took the first week off because I could. Started looking for work the next week around the 7th. I got a interview request by the 8th of March. Had the interview on the 10th. Had a job offer by the 14th and have been doing all the pre-employment background stuff since then and start on the 28th.

I will miss all you guys. I will check in from time to time. I won't be keeping up on the current stuff since I am moving to a healthcare job but I still have a lot of things to share on older versions.

Good luck and thanks for all the great knowledge!!

[pipe]

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

I am sorry to hear Bud, but at least you got a new job quickly. Thank you for all of the help you always provide.

Are you still going to be working on technology in the healthcare field?

Wishing you all the best. I'm really sorry to hear what you've been through.
Thanks for your help over the years.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Thanks for all your help over the years and I hope all goes well.

I guess you are in the US where I hear employment protection is limited. Anyway being forced to move can be a good thing.

@AvayaRed Yes I am going to still be doing techie stuff but a much wider variety, which I am looking forward too. But now I have to learn NEC phones. [wink]

@derfloh They still have a couple of techs. One of them told me it was a bit of a wake up call that they would sack a senior tech like me. You never know who is next.

@tac84 Don't feel sorry for me buddy. I told them for years... 'Go ahead. Fire me and force me go get a better job'. Which is exactly what I did.

@ipohead You are right. I am in the US and unions have been beaten down by the corporations and job security can suck.

Sad news that you wont be here.
Good news for you though, congrats on the new post I hope it works well for you
(I may be joining the Job hunt myself soon)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Avaya Remote Support Engineer (A.R.S.E)

I jumped through the last hoop today. Touched my toes, turned my head, got my knees wacked, and peed in a cup. I think I got this nailed.

@IPGuru If you live in the US now is the time to look around. Skilled people are scarce.

@Okkie26 Don't worry. I will still be around since now I need to bounce to the NEC forum. I will check in here. I won't have or need the most recent info but my experience goes back to R3.0 (Which hopefully no one will need). I will be able to help with weird integration stuff, that was one of the biggest part of my old job.

I will miss you guys too. You don't know how much you helped me. Maybe I didn't ask a lot of questions but you helping others helped me.

[thumbsup2]

Best of luck in your new role Bud. Onwards and upwards.

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

Honestly the only sad part is losing your expertise on here. You are ahead of the curve of getting out from under Avaya because clearly their shift is to get everyone to go hosted and they could care less about onprem anymore. Either they are intentionally releasing bad releases or they are massively incompetent... neither is a good option.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Blessings to you, BB, in the new adventure. I've been there and done that, more than once. However, many times, I have had the thought of sending those who gave me "the boot" a "Thank you" card. Each adventure has surpassed the last.

You will be sorely missed on the Avaya forum, but I'm sure we will cross paths on the NEC forum, as last year, I sold my Avaya-prominent business to a local competitor steeped in NEC and Panasonic and joined their ranks as Telecom Manager. I've been learning both of those products while still offering Avaya. Some customers are better suited for NEC these days, while others are still a better fit for Avaya.

I will miss your Avaya input. But, I look forward to seeing you in the NEC forums.

@RocketJTech I hope to see you on the NEC forum. I have a lot of catching up to do but a phone system is a phone system and I don't see me doing any high level programming any time soon. [smile]

Budbyrd, I am in UK not us but have already been contacted wtih a posible position that is almost identical to my current one so hopefull it work out there.
Last day in my current job will be Thursday.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Avaya Remote Support Engineer (A.R.S.E)

Good Luck IPGuru. I am on my second day on a new job and it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Everyone's life is a story. I have started a new chapter. This new page is very exciting~~!!~~ [thumbsup2]

Really bizarre, this seems to be the way that some companies are deciding to drop Avaya before Avaya drops them and goes fully stupid cloud.
Good that you found something so fast BB and NEC Isa different animal than Avaya but if you had exposure to the old partner system you will find that the programming is similar due to the codes having a structure where the first 2 digits are the main category and the next 2 digits narrow down the detail.

I should look around too joining the team of experienced techs going new ways.
All the best BB and don't forget to check in.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

@Westie I will always check in here. NEC is different... and almost seems a bit out dated. On the bright side. I had two hours of training and my trainer had to go to a meeting. Got an email for a few changes and did it all with two hours training without help. A phone system is a phone system. The commands are different and it will take me a while to get up to speed, but really??? It is just a phone system.... [wink]

I have just started working on NEC, never have I had to deal with such an over complicated programming tool.
The creation of an auto attendant is a major affair, really not enjoying it so far,
Worked on loads of systems throughout the years Avaya, Panasonic, Siemens, IPECS, Nortel and I must say NEC has the steepest learning curve.

Calum M
ACSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back