Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S8300D/CM 6.3 Installation Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahays

Vendor
Feb 22, 2005
US
Recently a customer came to me requesting that I upgrade their Enterprise from CM 6.0 to 6.3 to facilitate a Lync integration. The time frame was tight and several of the LSPs decided that they would not upgrade remotely. So, we opted to purchase some new S8300Ds that were scheduled for future deployments, load them in house and then ship them to the field for replacement and reload the old S8300Ds from scratch. Seemed like a solid plan until we rec'd the old S8300Ds back from the field. The WILL NOT accept the System Platform 6.3 load and continuously bombs with an error that I've never seen before (see attachment). Has anyone seen this before?

regs,

.al.

regs,

.al.

Avaya Certified Expert

Can you follow up on your issue? Was it resolved? What fixed it?
thanks,
Hudson22

Yes, also very interested in this resolution.

I've used this same tactic on numerous deployments. It's quicker and easier to pre-load the new release onto new cards. On some occasions I've gone from B to C or C to D cards so the old cards have just been sold off, but on the latest project we did an upgrade of 40 sites already running 5.2 on S8300D cards, so we purchased 5 new ones, pre-built them and then sent them out with engineer to be replaced, and then build the 5 that came back. Rinse & repeat until all 40 sites are done. We then put the 5 spare cards in gold stock.

I'd be interested to hear what progress has been made or if your still stuck?

I've been getting different information on this whole method, as I have a very similar situation.

I have a CM 6.0.1 core, along with CM 6.0.1 lsp sites. I want to migrate to vm ware on my core, but know I have to upgrade the lsp sites first. I have a spare s8300D and a spare GW to use to build offsite. I was thinking I can install cm 6.3 on this spare s8300D with the same ip and hostname info as a production site.. ship the card to site and just swap them. I was told this will not work because it maps the virtual mac of the s8300 to the gateways ethernet ports. If this doesn't match it will create an issue and you will end up troubleshooting/reformatting."

Any clarity on this whole process would be appreciated.

I've seen template upgrades fail from 6.0.1 or 6.2 to 6.3 because the S8300D CM was translated as Large or Extra Large memory instead of small or medium. It causes the template upgrade in System Platform to fail. See PSN PSN100127.

Otherwise, to wpetilli's point about swapping 8300's causing a problem, I can't see how that would happen. If that problem existed, wouldn't you see it in simple defective 8300 swaps without any upgrading going on? Perhaps best practice is to power cycle a gateway when using a new 8300 blade, but I've seen plenty replaced without problems.

Otherwise, to ahays's point about upgrades failing, there's usually some logging going on in system platform that could give you a clue as to why. In any event, curious to know myself - probably /vsp-template was full or something finnicky like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back