Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S.M.A.R.T. technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkfour4

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
US
Greetings! I have a new XP O/S running with a 100 GB WD 7200rpm, have Windows XP...booted up last week and had the S.M.A.R.T. message to backup up and replace hard drive! I downloaded some diagnostic software related to S.M.A.R.T. and it tells me that the drive is ok. I downloaded diag. soft. from the Western Digital and it says the HD is ok. BUT, I'm still getting a regular popup that says it isn't. Having problems with the restore function (it won't), having problems with burning disks...says data doesn't jive. So overall, something is going on. Just can't pinpoint it. Thought someone might have an idea as I can't find much on the web thus far regarting S.M.A.R.T. technology.
Happy Holidays...

See if you have a BIOS update available, also check for a firmware upgrade on the HD. These fix common issues doesn't hurt to give them a try. Beau Hastings

Hi There,

Would be good to check out your BIOS for incorrect SMART detection. Also worth contacting WD support .
As far as I know they do not like to release any firmware to disti's or end-users. If you get any firmware send it to me also ;)

I got this when I installed an MSI KT4 Ultra FISR board into a computer that had been running perfectly for ages. I ran some low-level diagnostics on the hard drive, and it turned out to be fine.

I switched off "S.M.A.R.T." pretty quickly.

It's new technology, so I guess it might have teething problems...

Think I'll flash the BIOS too, however...

:)
CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi dirkfour4,

Sounds to me as though you aren't talking well across the controller-'specially so as the CDRW is acting up too. Does the CDRW have trouble if you are not writing from the HDD (like copying from a different drive or CD to CDRW)?
Best look for updated MB/controller drivers (or install the proper ones if that hasn't been done). Also, check that the controllers are using DMA.
run CHKDSK /f on each partition to see if there are errors
Check with vendor, MB Manufacturer or Chipset Manufacturer about known errors.

S.M.A.R.T. errors are not something to ignore. call WD tech support and tell them about the drive error.
100 GB will SMART if you lose that much Data.
You might be Looking at the RMA process of sending the drive to WD for a new one.

****back up all the data on the drive.****

the Forum could be correct about a controller or BIOS issue.
But its not worth the headache if it is a HD issue and you lose your Data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back