Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS/6000-- 7007-N40

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkat

Technical User
Mar 9, 2002
US
Does anyone have any experience with this notebook? I have lots of questions, starting with hd size. Can you operate with ONLY the external drive in place? How large a drive can you use? Can you use an Excabyte 7/14 gig internal drive
to load a mksysb tape? This unit is very similar to my (old
but damn good 730 "wide body") MCA machine which runs at a paltry 25 mhz. Can you load the AIX 3.2.5 N40 software on the 730 to reduce the 730's workload since the N40 has a reduced filesize because of the notebook limitations. I will
have more questions as I work with this unit, but thanks and 'bye" for now.

i have never heard of that one but i would suggest calling 1-800-ibm-serv and see if you can get any info from them. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard of it either. They sold for about $12 grand which is why you don't know about this N40. It uses an internal scsi drive which is limited to 810 mb. So is my 7249-860 limited to 1.2 gig (scsi), but I have found a way around this. An internal scsi/ide converter and I now have 40 gigs in my 860 notebook....
radical!. I will continue to hack into this N40 and try to make it do more than that which was (and no longer is)
supported. These machines are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back