Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRN / APN needed related to DNIS Digits of 800#? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparker001

Technical User
Oct 17, 2006
US
We have a Definity G3si, I believe Version 9. Long ago our company set up an 800# for our Customer Support Center and established a DNIS, setting that up as a VDN extension (x4372). That extension also happens to be a DID #, so if you dial area code plus exchange plus 4372, you get right into the 800#.

We now are working with our vendor, AT&T, to have another company's 800# point to our 800# in order to have the calls from the first 800# seamlessly ring into our Customer Support Center 800#. We were told by AT&T that we could not use the same DNIS digits that we use for our original 800#, which sounds right. So we created a new DNIS VDN, which is not also a DID# (since we have very few of them left to use).

Our AT&T rep called late yesterday and said they needed our RRN, aka APN, number. I asked her what that was and she said it was a 10-digit number. I have looked thru all papers related to the original order of our Customer Support Center 800# way back, and I cannot see any notation of an RRN or APN.

Is this number something that would be listed in the switch somewhere?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you so very miuch.

Are you using a PRI from AT&T?
But no that information is not in the switch, it is only used for DID numbers. Normally on a PRI the carrier will send you only the number of digits you ask for, (if you have a 4 digits ext.) then they would send you the last 4 of the 10 digit DID number.

AT&T and any service provider can use the same DNIS digits for multiple 800, 877, 888 numbers and any 10 digit called numbers.

DNIS digits can be for any length, and whether they are related to the last 4 or however many digits or the 10 digit called number (DID or 800) does not matter.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

You can also change the digits to what ever you need them to be once they enter the system. with the Incoming call handling.

David thank you so much! We asked the AT&T person if the DNIS also had to be DID, and she clearly didn't explain it very well, because we were left scratching our heads! Thank you for clarifying this so quickly.

Have a great day!

Avaya Tier 3 - thank you for your input as well.

If AT&T had just said "your DNIS needs to be a DID #" it would have been clearer to us and so much easier! But they didn't explain it clearly... *shrug*

Enjoy your day.

The RRN is almost like a DID, except that it only exists in programming on the LD/800 network. It typically looks like a full DID number, but uses numbers that don't exist in the North American Number plan. They're associated with AT&T Megacom or similar service, and toll free numbers follow the routing plans associated with them.

For you, it might look like 999-770-4372. I would expect that AT&T should know this number already. If not, they should be able to look it up for you, just by knowing the toll free number you currently have.

If your service is ReadyLine, then the toll free number comes in on the DID that you say corresponds to the toll free number. In that case, the RRN is the full DID number.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

You know, I seem to remember waaaay back that there was some odd 10-digit number related to the 800# that was, as you put it, not a normal dialing string from the N America Number Plan. Like 813-105-xxxx. So it could be that the first setup was ReadyLine. (I was not in charge of the project back then, just helping out with certain parts of it, so my notes from that time are not specific to this part.)

Since we couldn't get our hands on that RRN, what I did was create a VDN extension that happens to be DID (x4375, or 10 digit version = 1-813-555-4375), and then pointed our main Customer Support Vector to that VDN. It's not the original 800# set up, but this way they have a 10-digit DNIS number that gets into our switch and points to the vector that gets the Customer Support prompting going. That should be all that matters, that the new 800# calls get into our existing 800# Customer Support prompting.

Your DNIS digits do NOT have to be associated with a 10 digit DID number. DNIS digits can be any digits and any length and must somehow be routable by your switch when the provider sends them to you on the T1.

For your convenience, you may design 800 numbers with a DNIS number to ring to the same place as a 10 digit DID, but in the network, this is totally NOT related.

Simple example (when a provider is sending something that does not match your dialplan:

800 555 1111 - DNIS 0700
with inc-call-handling treatment for your incoming calls to the trunk-group, you could delete 4 digits (0700) and insert 56600
212 555 6600 - DID sends 56600 to your switch

Both the 800 and the DID could route to vdn 56600

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back