Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver56

ISP
Dec 2, 2003
US
I am pretty new to the Norstar, so pls bear with me... I have done routing on other systems but not on the Norstar...

I have pool A which is local lines that have local and area calling (no "1" required).

I have pool B which is LD lines (analog) that I want all long distance (user dials 9+1) to route to (except 800 etc).

I know I can do dial 8 for LD and 9 for local, but had rather have 9 for all calls.

I have MICS 4.0.

I have read through the book, but it can be hard to follow. Terms change so much from vendor to vendor.

Any advice

Thanks in advance.

Its under services/ routes and destination codes.
The Install guide is not written for end users. That type of programming is typically taken care of by your vendor.

Two routes, 000 for local and 001 for long distance. Input your destination codes into each route and don't forget about digit absorbtion, change that to 1 for each route. Good luck.

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

Thanks for the input... one other thing... can I activate routing for just one station or a group of stations for testing?

I did not think so, I could not find anything indicating that I could.

Thanks all for the help

correct- it is a system wide setting. You can restrict access, but not assign it

Routing is system people - but extensions with lines on them can pick and line and dial bypassing the routing logic

I got it set up, and it is working for the most part but....

I have my local lines in pool "A", they are centrex lines and a 9 is required by the local telco. I set up a destination code of 9-any pointing to route 001 (pool A) and 91 pointing to route 002 (the pool with my LD lines). The LD lines would not accept toll free calls, so I had to set up destination codes for 91800, 91888, 91877, 91866, and 91855 to route 001 and force them out over my local lines. I also have 91-any point to route 002, but any calls with an area code of 8xx (other than the toll frees with a destination code) will not work.... I get reorder from the pbx as soon as I dial the 918xx. As a work around I am putting in the 8xx area codes as destination coces to get it to work. I understood the manual to say that 91-any would route anything beginning with 91 to my designated route unless I had destination codes for that number..... What am I missing here.

Except for the 8xx area codes everything is working fine... calls are routing to the proper pools... a little qurk though when the system gets enough digits to route the call, I hear a burst of dial tone from the trunk as the system picks up the line, just before it starts the dialing process.......

You could put a button on the phones & label it "Local"
assign it as an external autodial dialing "9" & directing it to use your line pool "A" dest code.

The users would then just have to dial the 18xx-xxx-xxxx.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

I am in the process of entering the 8xx area codes as destination codes, and that should take care of the problem, I was just wondering if I mis-understood the "any" function or if there was something I missed. I need to keep the dialing process as seamless as possible.

I would like to take the time to caution you to make sure you are set up properly to call 911 and 9911 in your routing.
I've seen this overlooked many times.

MarvO said it

Dave56,

If you set-up a destination code of 91888, for example, you will also need to set up a destination code for 9188A and 918A (A being wildcard).

The manuals were not very clear on this issue, and it took me a few minutes of trial and error to get it right.

91A will not cover anything that is 918xx since the "8" wildcard is taken out of the mix as soon as you created 91888.

I have three lines on my system, one for local, one for LD, and the third is a VoIP line that is local to a different area code (so all calls going to that region are routed over that line).

If you are interested, shoot me a message and I will email you examples of the destination codes I used.

I also manage a private dialing plan (8x), but I will omit those unless you are interested in seeing some good examples for how one can use destination codes.

Oh, and I would listen to Marv01's warning...

I set up a destination code for both 911 and 9-911. While, to us 9-911 may seem natural, but in an emergency, many folks may not think to dial 9-911 and may just dial 911.

For 911, just set up a routing code to absorb no digits and place it in a pool. Attach that route to the 911 destination code.

I tested 9-911 and 911 on my system and it worked well. The E911 center was a bit baffled (I am in BFE and they had a hard time understanding "I am testing a newly installed phone system to ensure that it can allow emergency calls").

hey achuchman,
I'm always interested in some info can you shoot me some of those destination code examples so I can create a check list?
Thanks...
jeru_me@yahoo.ca

Thanks, achuchman, I will double check the 911 issue for sure. We have a pretty big mix of lines in use, internet VOIP, dedicated LD, local centrex, and voice over frame as well.... Untill this, we did it all by access codes directing to the pools... but when we added the dedicated LD, it was hard to break the lazy ones from just dialing out on the centrex and we pay double for the switched LD vs the dedicated....

Please shoot me a copy of the examples you have.... go ahead and include the 8x as well

Thanks again

daver1956@yahoo.com

ThePhoneGURU and daver56,

I will go ahead and type out the routing and destination codes for you. I should have it some time today.

Is MS Word an okay format?

Cool...I am almost done with the document, so you should see it soon.

It's a bit of a monster... :)

Now, keep in mind that I have not gotten any Nortel training or any help from here or a Vendor when I set these up. This was all self-taught with the manuals.

If you see something that could be done better, please let me know! I am willing to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back