Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router won't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
Not sure where to post this, but here goes...

Tried to install a router to an existing dsl modem today and could not get it to work. The connection is Verison dhcp, and it works fine when the modem is connected directly to the computer, but when you put the router in the loop, the computer gets an ip address from the router, but can't connect to the internet. Can ping the router, but not a website. We tried 3 different computers and two brand new routers (1 linksys, 1 d-link) with the same results, so it's not the computers or the router as far as I can tell. What would make the modem work when connected directly, but not when going through a router? Modem is Fujitsu Speedport supplied by Verizon. any ideas welcome.

Have you set up the router to talk to the modem? what IP does the router think it is and is that one from your ISP?

The answer is "42"

have you setup any firewalls on your router?

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Franklin, the router is set up for the dhcp connection and detects the modem during the config wizard. It has it's own ip address (ie 192.168.0.1), but does not appear to be getting an ip from the modem.

Crowley, no firewalls setup on either router. These are both brand new out of the box routers.

Tried unplugging modem? When you state that you have tried multiple computers, do you mean through the router or directly to the modem? Many ISPs will assign IPs to the MAC address of the original pc, statically or using DHCP. D-link, Linksys etc usually have an option to "clone" the MAC address of the PC that was initially used to connect to the ISP. You can also try calling the ISP, so they can manually release and renew your IP, assigning it to your router.

Try this:
1. Hook the modem up to the PC, boot, get current IP with ipconfig.
2. Hook modem to router, router to pc, boot, get current IP with ipconfig.
3. Compare address and subnet mask. Are they the same?

LawnBoy, the router is assigning it's own ip (192.168.0.xxx) versus the modem direct is something like 72.xx.xx.xx.

Proger, yes, I unplugged the modem to reset it. I install Verizon all over this area and have it myself at home, and have never had this issue after close to 100 installs. The only time I've run into what you're talking about is with Comcast cable, and even then if you unplug the modem for a minute it flushes the mac address.

Verizon does not use PPPoE in this area.

If I'm following you correctly I think I know what's wrong. If, with the router hooked up, your pc has an IP in the 192.168.x.x range, your pc will never send a packet to the internet. The 192.168.x.x address range is reserved for private networks, there's not a router made that will pass that to the public internet.

You're going to have to get the PC's IP in the 72.x.x.x range for it to work. Verizon will reject any IP that's not in that subnet.

LawnBoy, the router is using NAT and that is the correct IP for the pc to get. (mine works that way) bygeek, the router should see the modem and get an "outside" IP from it in the 72.x.x.x range. This is what you need to get working first. Can you get to the router from your computer? You should be able to get to 192.168.0.1 with a web browser to manage the router and will need to get it talking to the modem. Let us know how you get along with this.

The answer is "42"

Yes, I've gotten into the router settings and it appears it is not getting the ip from the modem. But I can't figure out why since it supplies an ip to the computer.

Yes, we tried swapping cables.

The router supplies the computer with an IP in the range 192.168.0.x because it is set as an internal DHCP server. Is your "modem" truly just a modem or is it acting as a device that gets it's own IP? I would get in touch with your ISP and ask them if they are providing DHCP for the computer or if the IP is set statically. Your router needs to get an outside IP before anything else will work correctly.

The answer is "42"

Not sure if this will help, but after looking into the modem, it appears there are two different models of that modem. The first model, RA12, requires a crossover cable to connect from router to computer. The other model, RA14, requires a straight-through cable to connect from router to computer. Have you checked to ensure it is the right cable for that model? It could be causing it not to work if it is the wrong cable

Enkrypted
A+

I'll check the model, thanks.

I've confirmed it is an RA14, in which case the straight-through cable we're using should suffice. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back