Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RJ45 crimper recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwstdVTECSol816

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
Not sure if this is the right forum but it does deal with cabling. Ive been looking around for the past few days trying to find a rj45 crimper that will take some abuse but not too expensive. Im currently using a cheap GP one I got from Home Depot and although it does it job, it feels really cheap. The handles are made of plastic and it flexes easy. Ive narrowed it down to either a Ideal or Paladin crimper. Do any of you have any experience with the brands listed or are their other brands I should look into? Also, can you give me the specific model #? Im willing to spend about $50, give or take a few. Thanks. Johnson Nguyen
Email - jnguyen@feltycc.net
AIM - TwstdVTECSol816

I bought an Ideal to replace the GMP that got stolen. I had the gmp for 14 years and never had any trouble with crimps, I've had the Ideal ($36.00) for 2 months and I wouldn't waste the postage to send it to you free. A network buddy of mine spent about a hundred bucks on a paladin and says it works great every time. You get what you pay for. good luck, maybe others have had better luck. Phonman@comcast.net
SMalcolm
CustomPrewire in K.C.

The GMP is a good product indeed, I use the AMP crimper ($150 or so) and we use AMP modular plugs. They are slightly different than other brands. In fact, if you buy the GMP tool you will need to choose which die you want, AMP or non-amp. Both are very good tools, don't skimp on this one if you do many plugs.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I'm with these; I have an Ideal I use as a hammer but I use an AMP to make my plugs.

I use the Ideal Crimpmaster with the RJ45 die. About 70 bucks at Home Depot. Most of the techs at my dads work use the AllenTel RJ11/RJ45 crimper, I dont like that tool much. jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Im with Daron
You just cant beat an Amp.

I am with the others. I use the AMP crimp tool with the intercahngable dies. It is the most reliable one I have. Gave my Ideal one to a knewbie to play with.

Good Luck!!

Just some of the choices I found. This will not be used near as much as you guys do. I just want a decent tool, like a Craftsman instead of Snap-On or MAC.

Ideal Ratchet Telemaster™
Ratchet version of popular IDEAL Telemaster™ Tool for RJ-45 and RJ-11 modular plugs
Multi-function telephone tool cuts, strips and crimps for easy on-the-job, one-tool application
Repeatable crimp action for consistent, high quality connections

Paladin 1300 Series
The 1300 series, interchangeable-die, crimp tool is the answer for precision crimping at an affordable price. These tools crimp most coaxial connectors, insulated and non-insulated terminals, open- and closed-barrel terminals, fiber optics, wire ferrules and modular plugs.

Fully-ratcheting cycle with built-in safety release
Interchangeable dies constructed of heat-treated steel for long life
EZI-Change™ die screws make changing dies quick and easy
Ergonomically-designed handles for effortless operation
Foam-lined case available for keeping dies and crimper frame together (901013)
Choose from complete tool with die set inserted or separate tool frame and individual die sets

Paladin 8000 Series
The new 8000 Series CrimpALL crimp tools have important ergonomic features that improve user satisfaction and job comfort. For added convenience, they take the same die sets as the older 1300 series and the Ideal Crimpmaster crimp tools.

An angled head prevents awkward bending of the wrist during operation
Reduced handle grip distance is comfortable for workers with both small and large hands
Higher crimp force is produced with a lower hand force so your hand doesn't get tired so quickly

Paladin All-in-One Ultra Telephone Tool AMP (Tyco)

Our best all-in-one tool! Ultra-professional all-in-one crimping tools for AMP (Tyco).  Crimps 4- and 6-position RJ11/RJ12 connectors  Crimps 8-position RJ45 (non-keyed)  Embedded cable cutter and stripper  Crimps AWG 28-24 telephone and data cables  Advanced ratchet system  Precision die-cast aluminum head  Crimps 6-position RJ11-DEC offset type connectors  Lifetime warranty
Johnson Nguyen
AIM - TwstdVTECSol816

If you want 100% consistancy every time, you need an AMP! -CL

like the others amp

I have two one that lives with RJ 11 die one with the RJ 45

you can find them on ebay I paid 25 for the one with the rj11 and 45 for the other one which was the kit rj11,45 and 22 (handset plug)

Can you give me what model AMP tool? Johnson Nguyen
AIM - TwstdVTECSol816

You can use panduit's plugs with any crimper? I did not know that. jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

The racheting AMP one I use consists of the frame:

2-231652-0

The 8 pin modular AMP plug die set is:

Hope that helps. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Thanks. I typed in the model number at and they have it. Ill check my local distributer for prices tomorrow. Johnson Nguyen
AIM - TwstdVTECSol816

> You can use panduit's plugs with any crimper? I did not know that.

They work well in the Milestek crimper. I have also used them in an Ideal crimper and Panduit's crimper. I would assume that they don't work properly in an AMP crimper since AMP uses non-standard strain relief spacing.

While I like AMP stuff I would stay away from their "RJ45" 8P8C plugs. I spent a miserable night with a mixed box of AMP and standard 8P8C plugs trying to get things working and eventually figuring out the difference. The fact that plugs can get mixed can waste substantial time and materials. I don't see a business case for having any AMP plugs or crimpers anywhere near a job. If you have simular but incompatible parts and tools around eventually you will have this problem.

I have put over a thousand plugs on using the Milestek crimper and have never had a failure due to the tool. When I let people with ratcheting crimpers try it out they are amazed at how easy to use the tool is. When I bought it I figured I would only use it until I found something better. That has not happened yet. I have used all of the tools mentioned in this thread except the GMP.

What about Harris? Johnson Nguyen
AIM - TwstdVTECSol816

Harris makes the best punchdown tools and buttsets. Dont know about the crimpers. jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

I use the AMP crimper with all different manufactures of plugw, and as long as you use the correct die there are no troubles. I am like skip55, I have two of the AMP ratchet with one set up for RJ45 and the other for RJ11. I have about 4 different dies for special applications.

I think it really depends on what you are comfortable with using.

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back