Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reversed one-to-many relationship 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrumd

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have the following tables and relationships. Everything looks fine EXCEPT the relationship between tblPatients and tblAppointments (I need 1 patient to have many Appointments, not the other way round)

tblPatients
PatientID tblPhysician
PhysicianRef---------PhysID
LastName
FirstName tblAppointments
AppointmentRef--------------------ApptRef
HospitalRef---| ApptDate
... |
... | tblHospitals
... |-----HospitalID
DignosisRef-|
|
| tblDiagnosis
|--------DiagnosisID

All the xxxxID are AutoNumber, all the xxxxRef are Number, Long Integer

Any ideas??

Luis

"To confess ignorance is often wiser than to beat about the bush with a hypothetical diagnosis."
William Osler, 1895

Sorry, AppointmentRef in the tblPatient RELATES with AppointmentID in tblApointments

Luis

Since you need one patient to have many appointments, that should clue you that you can't put an AppointmentRef into tblPatients, since that would only give you room for one appointment.

Instead, you need to put PatientRef into your tblAppointments, and base the relationship on that.

Actually, I have to wonder whether a patient can have only one doctor and only one diagnosis, too, but you know your data better than I do.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Thanks, Ricky. Now that I understand it, it appears to be pretty obvious. I feel like a fool. An enlightened fool.

And yes, a patient can have several Drs. and Diagnosis, but for the purpose of my database, I am tracking certain patients, their referring physician, their main diagnosis and the tests and appointments

Thanks
Luis

"A Doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient"
William Osler, MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back