Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Exchange 5.5 on new server. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjax

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
We are going to replace our current exchange 5.5 server running on nt 4 with a new server running windows 2000. We will use the same server name. Is this possible and what are the steps that we should take? I planned on reinstalling exchange 5.5 and the service pack that we are on then trying to restore. Will this work? Will there be any problems for outlook clients? Thanks, Joe

you'd be better off building up the new 2K server, installing exchange and joining your existing Org, moving all mailboxes, connectors, public folders, system folders, etc...and then downing the old box.

Thanks but I meant to say that we are going to using the same server but just upgrading the harddrives.

We did a similar thing - only for a cold site server -- we wanted an identical exchange server offsite.

I wrote a faq on it.

faq10-2260

Pls, let me know what you think of it .. I'd like to improve upon it if I can. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Err, Al...

You joined TT back in July and have posted just over 100 replies. That's one of the best / most thorough FAQs I've seen on here. Large pat on back. And a star.

Plus metaphorical removal of the star due to not posting often enough and not joining until now!!!

Thanks a ton buddy.. I really appreciate the feedback.

WE had a WHALE of a time trying to restore our exchange server to a backup server that would be put off site!! I found documentation on the subject SADLY lacking -- and managed, over a 2 month period, to collect about 50 different articles on Exchange Restoration and troubleshooting. I even called in an expert from Toronto (i'm in Ottawa),who could figure out why I could get the log files to play back to bring us back to SAME DAY CRASH RECOVERY.

I wasn't happy enough with .. Delete the log files and go... i wanted a no loss recovery...

After finally making it work.. i wrote that document and felt compelled to share it here.. because I do find a lot of great Technical talent here... i had to give back.

So.. thanks again for the feedback.. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

^^^ The Expert Could NOT figure out why logs wouldn't play back.. ^^^^

Just fixing my type-o Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Just joined this site and it looks fine.

The answer is yes what you want to do is possible and I have done it. There are a few steps you need to carry out eg. build the server with same SPs etc on the same network, different name - do not join the org but use the exact (directory names) names to create your org and site. Copy over the database files. Remove old server from the network and rename new server to the old servers name and IP address. You do not have to visit any clients as this is all done in the background. I have a document at work (at home at the moment)that will step you through it if it is not too late - gbramhall@bds-solutions.co.uk. It is a little more complex than I have suggested but can be accomplished.

Hope this helps

Alshrims FAQ10-2260
is good but what if your exchange server is your PDC and it crashes you cannot delete the PDC account and make new bdc the exchsrvr on the domain without affecting the domain..... can you ?

I have done this at least 3 times with complete sucess. The FAQ article that alshrim is very good and provides further detail than the following article provides. Microsoft has an article Q155216 that explains how to accomplish this. They have removed it from their website, but it is still available on Technet.

XADM: How to Move Exchange Server to a New Computer w/ Same Name [Q155216]

Worth Checking out.

yes you can Cozi1 -- just promote your BDC... and boom .. instant PDC.... then you reinstall a box -- name it the same name as your FORMER PDC -- install it as a BDC!

If needs be .. once you've gotten your NT installed... you repromote the BDC/Exchange to PDC. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

But -- Let me add - I'm assuming you have a BDC already that you can promote....

You would then install your New Exchange box as another BDC .. and then promote it.. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Thanks for everyone's help but back to the my orignal question, here is what I did if it helps anyone else...

1. Did directory export of recipient containers.
2. Stopped Exchange services.
3. Copied everything in \exchsrvr\mdbdata to a backup folder on another pc.
4. Installed new harddrives and Windows 2000 and 2000 sp2.
5. Installed Exchange 5.5.
6. Installed Exchange 5.5 sp4.
7. Stopped Exchange services.
8. Deleted everything in \exchsrvr\mdbdata.
9. Copied old \exchsrvr\mdbdata files from backup folder into \exchsrvr\mdbdata.
10. Started Exchange System Attendant and Directory services.
11. Tried isinteg -patch but got "Unknown Error".
12. Ran eseutil /p /ispriv.
13. Ran eseutil /p /ispub.
14. Ran isinteg -patch and was succesful.
15. Started rest of Exchange services and they started fine.
16. Ran directory import.
17. Everything looks good.

Now, in another week or two, I will do the upgrade to Exchange 2000. Thanks again!

Alshrim,

Just a question.

1. We are using right now a Backup Exec ver 8.6, and we are making a Exchange Agent as our Backup. So we have this BackUp , now we Restore in to our new and your right we have this error *database inconsistent*. And in your faq, you have point out that.

a. We have to delete first the content of our folder DSAdata\ which include the Dir.Edb prior to our restoration using Veritas- right?. then if it fails we have to edit the registry.
b. then we have to run the eseutil.exe - integrity checking.
c. then we have to run the isinteg-patch - to update the database

Then all services should run now.

Jerry

Funcrecall12 -- Yup ... delete everything inside -- or .. simply move it out of that folder to another location. I would pick moving them. Deleting is so permenant.

But the restoration will add the correct Dir.edb into that directory. Remember to use an older restore of the DS.

Cheers. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Alshrin,

"Remember to use an older restore of the DS"
What do you mean by this?

Jerry

What I meant was, if you are doing an 'up-to-date' restore of the entires Exchange server, then what you wanna do is restore a Directory Store older than the Information Store.

I have found that if I use the current Directory Store restoration, the Information Store Transaction Logs fail to run. This is largely do to the fact that the DS is already up to date, and the logs do not contain any information that the DS can use.

If you use an older Directory Store -- say, 2 weeks older, or even 2 months older (it really doesn't matter), the logs will run properly, bringing both the IS and the DS up to date!

This procedure is not documented anywhere that I have seen; I found this out purely by trial and error - and documented my observations. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Alshrim,

Thank you. I got it..I will try your procedure today.. and I will update you. It will be my first time to restore a exchange server using Veritas .. Hope its sucessful.

Jerry.

You can do it .. no problem ..
The procedures I outline there .. I've tried a dozen times and it works everytime..

Cheers.. good luck.. I look forward to your report..

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Alshrim,

My activity was postponed.. but on Sunday morning I will have to have a backup using Veritas, to be restored monday night.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back