Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restart lock-up and chipmunk sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaxted

Vendor
Jun 16, 2002
CA
Hey! I just finished building a new computer for myself and I have been having some odd problems. The computer is an AMD 1800+, Asus A7N8X, 512 mb pc2700, 80gb maxtor, sony dvd rom, geforce 4 mx 440, enermax 350 whisper power supply. everything else is on-board. I bought an MSI KT4V-L but it wouldn't hit 266fsb without really weird errors and lock-ups. Also it would be real slow booting up. I traded it and paid the difference for the A7N8X but it still seems quite slow booting up about 45 seconds after the post screen. Also whenever your write to the hard drive like add a program but restart manually (meaning going to taskbar and hitting restart) the computer reboots the dvd reads and thats it untill I have to hit the restart button on the front of the case. Also whenever I play the game Mafia the people sound like chipmunks...if anyone could help me with my problems that would be great! I tested the ram and video card on my a7v333 and it didn't have any problems.
Thanks everyone for your help it really means alot to me.. Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

I changed a couple of things in bios and now its not slow booting up but I still dont understand why the sound is wonky and it will not restart. I have tested everything I have even installed all the latest nforce2 drivers. I am very lonely and desperate..for help about my computer thanks! Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Sorry for being so impatient but I desperatly need help...I have looked through all of the other posts on restarting problems but none are like mine Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Re-start problem sounds like it is O.S. related, but you don't say what O.S. you are running. Do you have the latest sound drivers for your board? Bad drivers are the cause of many problems.... If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Some other people have reported problems with the A7N8X. The Asus motherboards usually have slightly higher voltage settings on the memory for stability. The motherboard is finicky about the memory from what I have heard from some people. You might try flashing the BIOS if you can determine which BIOS version works best.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Im running ME and it has been a version that I have had no problems with. I will update my sound drivers..but I am just a bit timid about flashing my bios. I know its not a ram problem...Im still quite peeved about why the computer will not restart. Anymore help would be greatly appreciated Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

I have a keyboard that flashes when the computer is shutdown. But normally when you restart it doesnt flash and the numlock stays light. When the computer restarts "abnormally" the keyboard flashes as if the computer is shut down. Also nothing else spins up except the dvd and fans. Could this be a power supply problem?? Im running an Enermax so I didn't bother checking. Or is there like some sort of "power saving" option in the bios or jumper?? Im trying anything to get this problem resolved...any help and opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help so far.. Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Is there any sort of power saving option or jumper that might be causing this problem because I swaped out the power supply and its not the ps... Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Occassionally a sound card can cause a computer to crash or freeze up. Also some CD R/W drives can cause similar problems. Usually this is a driver or setup problem that can be fixed with better drivers or reinstallation.
Another problem when restarting is the "RESUME ON RESTART" setting in the BIOS. This is something Microsoft does not like. I have also seen problems with programs that have memory leaks and can cause all of the memory to be used up and then the system just quits. Some motherboards also have an additional driver disk that needs to be installed for addittional chipset and ATA drivers. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I was pondering also about the resume on restart option...im gonna go try that out and hopefully it works cause my brain has been picked over and over again (i guess it's better than my nose) if you guys have more suggestions that would be great cause Im plum out! Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Thanks for your help but it doesn't still reboot...what does ACPI suspend to ram mean? PCI/VGA palette snoop mean? It doesn't seem like a hardware issue...but I cant find the culpret.. Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

When I was running a TNT2 M64 in the socket 7 and the IBM that you gave me, I had to enable the setting in bios for the computer to display anything higher than 256 colours. PCI/VGA palette is the set of colours that a video card used when it's in the 256-colors mode. This option should be disabled unless the video device requires the option enabled, otherwise it should be left disabled. I don’t think that the geforce 4 mx 440 requires the option. Also some video devices require the option enabled during installation.

ACPI Suspend to RAM is a function on the Asus A7N8X that allows you to continue your work directly from the DRAM and saves you time by skipping the Windows booting procedure. Suspend to DRAM saves your work into the systems memory and is much faster than Suspend to Hard Drive. But the DRAM requires power while Suspend to Hard Drive does not require any power.

Pocketram actually it was a socket 8 Intel pro...and Im actually quite impressed with your 2 post...but I have a question..should I enable ACPI suspend to ram ??? Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Anyways I have tried everything so I think I am going to flash the bios hopefully that will make it work. If not I'll jsut exchange the board... Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

You shouldn't need to do that. Easy test to find out if you need to or not is to set failsafe settings in your bios. Unless the machine runs ridiculusly slow or you get the same problems, your bios is ok and dont need flashing. The CPU clock speed may just need to be set correctly. It will either be 100/133 or 133/133.
Also, check this- If you have both a DVD-ROM drive and a CDRW Drive. Make sure that the CDRW is set to Secondary Master and the DVD to secondary slave. Dont use the cable select jumper settings on the back of the drives, specify how you want it to be, having these the wrong way around can cause many mysterious problems.

We can't find the failsafe function in the Bios. Our bios version is Phoenix/award bios Version 6.00PG Bios rev 1001.e.

P.S My friend and I are both trying to fix the same problem, thanks for the help so far.

Thanks for all your help but i do believe I have to flash my bios... Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

WELL??? did it work? I have same problems PLUS OTHERS
A7N8X Deluxe, AMD 2400+, AIW 9700 pro

1. I have no BEEPS on boot....
2. I have no sound from speakers
3. other...but i be happy if about 2 be solved

Please Post how u solved your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back