Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resignation Letter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2007
US
Does anyone here know of any good websites that can provide ideas for resignation letters? Currently I have another job offer and my current company is in financial distress so leaving is not something company personel do expect. I just wanted to thank one manager in particular but wanted to see some GREAT resume examples, not one's that sound scripted.

Thanks in advance,

Brady

A resignation letter should help to maintain a positive relationship with your old employer. Objective when leaving any organisation should include leaving on terms that qualify you to:[ul][li]Be "Re-hirable" (even though you may never work there again).[/li][li]Recieve a good reference or a letter or recommendation, or both.[/li][/ul]It makes good sense to take the time to write a polished and professional resignation letter.

This template may be useful to you:
Resignation Letter said:
<Date>

<Your Name>
<Your Address>
<Your City, State, Zip Code>
<Your Phone Number>
<Your Email Address>

<Recipient Name>
<Recipient Title>
<Organization>
<Organization Address>
<City, State, Zip Code>

Dear <Recipient Name>,

The purpose of this letter is to tender my resignation from my position as <Title> with <Organization Name>, effective <As-of Date>.

I value the opportunities for professional and personal growth I have received here at <Organization Name>. I particularly appreciate the friendships I have developed with you and my other co-workers here.

I am pleased to assist with the transition of my responsibilities to your designee.

Respectfully yours,

<Handwritten Signature>
<Typed Signature>
Part of the polish of a resignation letter comes from its being concise and to the point. You do not need to explain yourself of delve into reasons for your leaving. You should not offer or include your assessments of the company, projects, peers, superiors, subordinates, et cetera. (You can diplomatically convey such information, if appropriate, and if a manager specifically requests that information from you.)

I, personally, request (and usually receive) a written letter of reference from managers (even co-workers) to add to my portfolio. Having a written letter of reference/recommendation also gives you insight into the type of reference you can expect your colleague to give to other future potential employers.

Let us know your thoughts.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

As Santa says, you do not need to give reasons in your letter. Just say you are going.

If you are a permie, HR (hippy name for personnel) in some companies will give you a tick box questionnaire with reasons for leaving. Sometimes you want to tick every single box. They give you reasons you never thought about but when you do think about it, it is "hmmm... yes that as well". I don't know anyone who works in HR and I've got no idea what HR do with these questionnaires.

I've got no idea what HR do with these questionnaires

I know the last one I filled in ended up on the CEO's desk. I was truthful and to the point about a number of issues, which caused some feathers to be ruffled. The people who it mattered to, the upper management, were grateful of my honesty, as expressed in the letter from the CEO I received.

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

my current company is in financial distress so leaving is not something company personel do expect

I would think that is exactly what they would expect. Loyal staff, or what?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I know that some companies do actually read those exit forms. I was actaully asked to come back a couple of weeks after I left to talk with the VP and Directory about my answers so that they could address some of the issues. As I understand it several changes were made in part do to my exit questions.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Once you resign, you do not have any obligation to give your FORMER employer any information about the strengths, or weaknesses of their organization or its members. It may not serve you to do so, unless you are going to end up getting hired back to take over another position based on your showing of understanding of the issues the company is facing more so than the person whos job they would give you.

I was truthful and to the point about a number of issues, which caused some feathers to be ruffled. The people who it mattered to, the upper management, were grateful of my honesty, as expressed in the letter from the CEO I received
Who was responsible for writing your references? The grateful upper management or the people whose feathers you ruffled?

I'd be very cautious about being too frank - your old company's problems are theirs to worry about, not yours!

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Thats what I call burning your bridges behind you. Not a good idea.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

All the problems, concerns, advice, and feedback on challenges, other workers, etc. that you gave while you were an employee should have fixed any of the items which you communicated about. If they did not listen when you worked there, or if you were not forthright at that time, what makes you think they will listen after you leave?

A previous employer of mine had a project manager which had problems with their projects with every tech which they used on their projects for 3 years. This PM had about 8 techs that had no history of issues on their previous projects, but only came highly recomended by their clients. Every tech reported the PM's lack of skill, and commitment, but no action was taken. The PM was good at playing the game, and throwing others under the bus, including throwing her operations manager under the bus to the techs to blame things on him. If management has not the due diligence to keep track of things, reporting issues to them simply makes you seem like a boat rocker in most situations.

You can tell a manager who does not want to hear anything, nor do anything about anything, and sees communication of issues as being a complainer. They say something like this.

" I do not want to hear about any problems, or complaints unless you have a solution to the problem"
TRANSLATION
" I AM NOT HERE TO DO MY JOB AS A MANAGER, AND DON'T YOU TRY TO MAKE ME. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, DO ALL YOUR OWN WORK ON TIME, ON BUDGET, AND WITHOUT MY HELP, THEN ON YOUR OWN TIME NOT COMPANY TIME DO MY JOB, AND THEN GIVE ME CREDIT."

If they really cared they would be doing things to fix things without having to have you tell them what it is their job to figure out in the first place.

LOL, mufasa, you should be an IT career counselor. Seems like you have everything people need when searching/changing a job. You should share your library with me sometime.

" I do not want to hear about any problems, or complaints unless you have a solution to the problem"
TRANSLATION
" I AM NOT HERE TO DO MY JOB AS A MANAGER, AND DON'T YOU TRY TO MAKE ME. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, DO ALL YOUR OWN WORK ON TIME, ON BUDGET, AND WITHOUT MY HELP, THEN ON YOUR OWN TIME NOT COMPANY TIME DO MY JOB, AND THEN GIVE ME CREDIT."

This is exactly what was happening to me. The local management were not at all bothered about their staff, left a large proportion of them on threat of redundnacy for 6 months, because they could not be bothered to sort out who they needed to keep, and wasting too much time and money on things like changing the front door from Blue to Green!!!

Whenever questions were asked to the local management by head office, everything was fine, and excuses were put up for the delays in redundancies etc, but once a few of us left, and the leavers forms got back to head office (thanks partly to a new HR manager at the local office), things started to be seen more clearly at head office.

=======================================
I got to the edge of sanity....then i fell off
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back