Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Letter of Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BParsons

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
What are some key points to include in it?

TIA,
Brad

It was pure jest. I would never intentionly do anything of such to destroy their life. I would simply pick up and move on if things were that bad.

I think the trend now is to let the employee go on his merry way before the two weeks run out, and if he/she has any vacation or sick time left to cut him/her a check. It was explained to me that such lame-duck workers are not productive blah blah blah.

But I think it's professional to leave the company on a good note and thank them for your time there, unless there was some blatant attempt to make your life there miserable.

I had a co-worker write a scathing 3-page resignation letter, denouncing his supervisor and the company in general. I don't think that showed any class.

I usually start my resignation letters "It is with regret that I write to inform you....."
In my last resignation letter (written after 3 years trying to get out) I changed to "It is with some regret..". Surprisingly all the managers who saw it noticed and commented on it (although not negatively).

Sometimes being subtle is best..

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

The main reason that companies will kick people loose is security. If your domain admin is going to leave do you want him to stick around and be able to trash the network on his way out the door?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

If the company which you work for does not allow employees to continue generating income until their resignation date, then give notice with the same lead time as they will continue to pay you if you give them notice.

If they will only pay you for the rest of the day, then give notice saying your last day is today. If they will allow you to continue to generate revenue from either working there, or paying you until the resignation date then give more notice.

Take your vacation before you resign, if they let you go, and do not pay you, file for unemployment benefits for the interim.
Bottom line is this, if you need the income for the notification period, and they will disallow this, then give no notice. You have bills to pay, and if they are going to just let you go immediatley, you do not buy them any more lead time to prepare.
Note, some new employers will offer you the option to start right away if your notice negates your employment. If so, give notice. If your employer will not deny you the revenue for the notice period, give notice.

There is no point in giving notice to an organization that will maliciously cut your revenue, by you doing so. This is a malicious act for someone who will give a bad report for not giving notice. If they will end your employment upon notice, it will not effect their business anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back