Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting a filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7474

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
Hi All!!!

I am having issues with a filtered form. Here is the deal: I have a form that has five searchable controls. Once I hit the search button it filters all the records so that I get only the ones desired. I am having problems is when I try another search. At first, I had it so that it would try to search through the filtered records for the new search. I have tried to correct this problem two ways with the same result. I have changed the recordsource back to the original query, and I have turned the filter off, once I hit the New Search button. The result is that the first search works fine, the second search starts with the original amount of records, but it comes up with nothing for a recordsource.

Here is my code for the Search button:
Code:
Private Sub SearchBtn_Click()

Dim multVar As Integer
    Dim FilterString As String

multVar = 0     'This variable is to let the function know if there's more than one criteria

If Not IsNull(PartNumberLookup) Then
        FilterString = "[PartNumber] Like '*" & PartNumberLookup & "*'"
        multVar = multVar + 1
    End If

If Not IsNull(DescriptionLookUp) Then
        If multVar = 0 Then
            FilterString = "[Description] Like '*" & DescriptionLookUp & "*'"
        Else
            FilterString = FilterString & "AND [Description] Like '*" & DescriptionLookUp & "*'"
        End If
        multVar = multVar + 1
    End If

If Not IsNull(FirstUsedOnLookup) Then
        If multVar = 0 Then
            FilterString = "[FirstUsedOn] Like '*" & FirstUsedOnLookup & "*'"
        Else
            FilterString = FilterString & "AND [FirstUsedOn] Like '*" & FirstUsedOnLookup & "*'"
        End If
        multVar = multVar + 1
    End If

If Not IsNull(OldPartNumberLookup) Then
        If multVar = 0 Then
            FilterString = "[OldPartNumber] Like '*" & OldPartNumberLookup & "*'"
        Else
            FilterString = FilterString & "AND [OldPartNumber] Like '*" & OldPartNumberLookup & "*'"
        End If
        multVar = multVar + 1
    End If

If Not IsNull(WrongPartNumberLookup) Then
        If multVar = 0 Then
            FilterString = "[WrongPartNumber] Like '*" & WrongPartNumberLookup & "*'"
        Else
            FilterString = FilterString & "AND [WrongPartNumber] Like '*" & WrongPartNumberLookup & "*'"
        End If
        multVar = multVar + 1
    End If

'Set the form's recordsource
    Forms!FrmDwgSearch.Filter = FilterString
    Forms!FrmDwgSearch.FilterOn = True

Here is my code for the New Search button:
Code:
Private Sub NewSearchBtn_Click()

Dim QryDwgSearch1 As String

Forms!FrmDwgSearch.FilterOn = False
    DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    Me!PartNumberLookup = ""
    Me!DescriptionLookUp = ""
    Me!FirstUsedOnLookup = ""
    Me!OldPartNumberLookup = ""
    Me!WrongPartNumberLookup = ""
    Me!PartNumberLookup.SetFocus

I also had it where I set the forms recordsource:
Code:
Forms!FrmDwgSearch.RecordSource = "Select * FROM [QryDwgSearch1] WHERE " & FilterString
And switched it back with:
Code:
Forms!FrmDwgSearch.RecordSource = "QryDwgSearch1"

Again both of the ways (either through recordsource or filtering) came back with the same results. No results after I clicked the New Search button, put in criteria, and clicked the Search button.

I would rather not have the user close the form and reopen it. (It shouldn't be this complicated.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any of this doesn't make sense I would be happy to explain further. Thanks again for all the help in advance!!
Wally

Dim multVar As Integer
Dim FilterString As String

Me.FilterOn = False

multVar = 0 'This variable is to let the function know if there's more than one criteria

'The rest of your code..........

That didn't seem to work. It still doesn't find any records. At best it finds one. Is this a normal problem??

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back