Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting 3Com Netbuilder 227 Defaults 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2001
US
Is there any way to reset the defaults for a 3Com SuperStack II Netbuilder 227? The last administrator to have the privileged mode password didn't document it anywhere and there is no way to contact him.

Any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried the default user profile, login:root
password: blank(no password)

Thanks rogodeter, but actually I have found the answer. 3COM has managed to hide its knowledgebase rather well, but with some research I was finally able to find it--and the answer to my question. I was able to reset the password using their rather involved method. But, at least it worked!!

Thatgeekchick,
Can you share that info on resetting the password.

I have just started working with some 3com Super Stack II's and I don't have the passwords.

No idea if this works or not, it's from the knowledgebase

---

To reset the Switch to the default password using the Web Interface, follow the steps below:

1. Connect to the switch using a web browser on your LAN. Instead of the URL type the IP address of your switch. A login screen should appear.
2. Log in using the default user name and no password.
3. You can then change the password using the Password Setting page.
To access the Password Setting page:
- Click the Management Settings icon on the side-bar.
- Click the Password Settings hotlink.
- the Password Setting page is now displayed.
4. In the Password Setting page you must fill in the following fields:
- "New Password" which allows you to enter a new password for the user.
Note that the password can be up to 10 characters long. (Passwords can only contain alpha-numeric characters.)
- "Confirm the Password" which allows you to re-enter the new password. The password does not change unless you re-enter it in this field.

FYI -- The title of the 3com knowledge base item that describes how to reset the password on the superstack II netbuilder router is "Netbuilder - entering monitor mode and reseting the root password" This was hard for me to find, but it worked once I found it. The previous response to this thread was not for this router. Thanks to "thatgeekchick" you gave me hope that there was a procedure on the 3com site. Without you, I may have given up.
Elling

Hi !

So I´ve got the same problem with my 3com SuperStack II 9300 (PID 3C93011).
So what can I do now for the reset to factory settings ?
NO given password (above) will work ! And we lost the administrator password !

Please gimme some hint and/or solution !

Thx.

Andrew.

I just purchased a SuperStack II Netbuilder 432, but the root user does not work, I have tried various different password combinations.

I do not know the password, and it would be near impossible to try and find where this unit was adminstered.

So my only option is to reset the password. I have got Console access, obviously.

I have searched the 3com Knowledgebase, but cannot find how to get into monitor mode. I have found an article on resetting the router to factory defaults. But it requires me to be in monitor mode, something I am unsure of how to get into.

Can someone please tell me how I am supposed to reset the password and/or enter monitor mode.

THANX !

It is very easy. :)

Just push reset button located on left side of router. It is located near red dip switches. Use plastic pen or something similar. Next you are at monitor prompt >

use command:

>bt a:/primary/boot.68k / - this second slash is important

router will boot with no password. Next login as root with no password (just push enter).

at console prompt do:
> rf a:/primary/system

It will delete all passwords, and few more not so important things like command prompt string, system location, etc.

>reboot - reboot router, and there is NO password on your router

It works with SuperStack II NetBuilder Remote Office routers.

Brat

Hi !

Thanx, I just got found the article on the 3com Knowledgebase, I have got logged in now. But I am having problems with configuring the DHCP server, I am following the correct Knowledgebase article.

I am getting problems with the Profiles... It seems 0 is X25.DTE and 1 is a little weird, most of the DHCP settings have worked, but I cannot get clients to grab and IP from it yet.

I am referencing another of my Netbuilder II's to see what the Profile configuration is like....

Many Thanx Brat !

Anyone know anything about Superstack II 3C8432. I have just been given one and am wondering if it will allow me to coonect to a Frame connection. It has what looks like a CSU/DSU port with a RJ45 jack. I am assuming that this might patch to a smart jack.

The port RJ45 CSU/DSU port on the 432 is an ISDN S/T port.

B1 & B2 indicate the ISDN 'B' channels

If you want to use a frame relay connection with something other than an RJ45 connection through the Ethernet ports, then you will need to get an external CSU/DSU and connect it to the ASYNC serial ports, with the correct DB60 cable.

3com netbuilder II password recovery: I need to recover the password from a 3-com netbuilder II. I don't even know if I can access it via http, or anything. I know nothing about this router.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

email me: richard@generic-edesign.co.uk

I have reset the passwords on many NETBuilders, its pretty darn easy to do.

Greetings,

I have tried the process used by BRAT and I am getting an error telling me there is a boot error. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

P.S. are these things ISDN routers only or do they also work in a 10 base environment on the WAN side

Hi, SmokeTest

Maybe boot file is located somwhere else. Try to display all files on your file system in monitor mode.

> df <enter>

You will see all files and subdirectories on flash system. Try to display subdirectories ie:

> df a:/<dir_name>/ <enter>

Brat

Hi Brat,

I checked the directory >df a:/primary and I found the boot.68K file so I used this command
>bt a:/primary/boot.68k / this returned the error &quot;boot failed&quot;. I tried this on 2 of these and recieved the same error. Any more thoughts???

Thanks

Hi, SmokeTest

Maybe boot files are corrupted, try to load flash again.
Use CL command in monitor mode, configure flash load and using TFTP server download correct boot.68k file. You can find one on 3com's ftp site.

Brat

Hi !

Still I got similar probs ...

I´ve an 3com Superstack II 9300 2-LX/10-SX (3C93011) SWITCH.

My Problem is: I could not login to reconfigure. My pal is walk out around the world and the 3com-support is over, because the machine was bought from 2001, and it´s to old since registration (just 2-year-free-support-help).
They gave me the offer to pay lot of money for help me here. - No thanks ! I haven´t !

Here are all my tried backdoors w/o effect (used serial-console):

adm/(none)
admin/synnet
admin/admin
admin/(blank)
admin/nopass
debug/synnet
write/synnet

... always &quot;incorrect password&quot; !
--------------
and:

root/(blank)
root/manger
security/(blank)
security/security
manager/manager
recover/recover
tech/tech
monitor/monitor
3comcso/RIP000
force/force

... always &quot;.. is not a valid access level&quot;

and here is NO reset-button on my machine ...

Maybe anyone got a quick idea ?! The delivered handbooks (the customer+admin handbooks) have no details for this case...

Does anyone have any idea or answer ?!

Greetings,

Phil (cloonie)

the only way to reset the unit to defaults if you cannot get in using backdoor passwords is to force a firmware update through the console port.. this always works, but sometimes there are issues with doing this on the console port... none of which I have experienced yet (I have done this on many SS2 3300, 1100, 1000's and 3000's, without any problems)... you should fine the firmware/OS on the 3Com site... it does take a bit of a looking around for, and you may need to consule the knowledgebase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back