Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requesting help regarding counting of cells. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyck3

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I must start by saying, I retired 7 years ago and what they say is true "If you don't use it, you lose it."
That said, I do remember basics but never did know much about VBA and fancy tricks. All I learned regarding the major nuances with Excel, I learned from this GLORIOUS resource. I crochet, this is my new retirement business, so to speak....

I have a graph of a picture that I personally created black (well I used dark blue) and blank cells to create a silhouette of a Peacock. Now its 125 cells by 178 rows. To work from this HUGE grid is taxing having to count as I go, 3 stitches blue, 1 white, 7 blue, 3 white, or consider it Color A, B, and if more colors, C, D,..... (7A, 1B, 7A, 3B) etc. for each stitch and each row.
So, I'm told that some of my designer friends uses macros in Excel to export a written instructions as exampled in bold.

Is it possible and if so, how, to achive this task in Excel. <crossing fingers> :)
Thank you extremely and in advance...

ladyck3
aka Laurie

P.S. If it would help to include a snip of the chart/spreadsheet, I'm willing to share a partial segment.

Thank you so very much in advance..

ladyck3
aka: Laurie :)

1) ???

2) I thought it was 3. Can change it to 4.

3) I thought RH went right to left, bottom to top. In reality, when the NewLH was generated, flipping the columns, the left to right is the same as RH right to left. ???

So maybe we should get this fixed before trying to explain the whole thing.

Help me understand.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

1. I woke up thinking, the tables you were talking about might have been Excel Tables, I thought it was real tables, like setting up a bingo hall so I played with it... nevermind LOL

2. MY BAD for my confusing the 3 or 4 issue, you are accurate, it is 3 stitches pre and post the repeat. My bad. :(

3a. RH shows the first stitch of Row 1 is on the right, it works right to left, the yarn is cut when complete and Row 2, will begin at Position Row 2, on the right and work left...

3b. Likewise for NewLH, the first row starts on first stitch on the left and works right, yarn is cut. Row 2 begins again at the first stitch with the accurate color and works to the right.

(LH works with the crochet hook in the left hand and works to the right, RH works with hook in the right hand and works left). If a lefty tries to use a standard chart, always done from Right to left, the design ends up looking in the reverse and does not have the same effect. Picture a crescent moon open to the right as would be the "proper way" but for Lefties if they try first to read from right to left which is dyslexic, the moon ends up opening to the Left so the pattern is backwards per the designer's theme.

Does this help or further muddy the waters? This transposition of the design is why its so difficult for a lefty to do these from charts. "They say" well just work with a mirror and do it that way... how do you hold a mirror, a pattern, a hook and yarn, if you don't have 4 hands to do so.... thus the reason I've asked for assistance. AND, I love these patterns so that's why I need the help.

We are this far, but if you wish to bale, I get it. :)
I completely appreciate your time, most sincerely!
I'm a happy lady today, well yesterday, we drove to (OMG) Downtown/adjacent, yesterday and dropped off our ballots... I was a giddy as a school girl, almost as much as when I received my first workbook in this journey :)

I saw another post where you helped someone, saying "fellow Texan" WE RULE! :)

Dear Skip....
I'm just politely checking... have we concluded this project? If so, I'll stop checking, if not, I'll continue to lurk quietly.
I appreciate all and everything you have done.
THANK YOU!
Laurie

WOW, you should have had the tree carving guy that has done all the cool sculptures in Galveston carve it up into something cool. Then again it looked like it might have some rotten in it.

No rush, honestly, was just wondering where it all stands. Take your time, just checking in to see if it was still a work in progress or you took the bale option I offered :)

Don't know just where you are but I hope you are not affected by Delta... we are too far west of the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back