Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requesting help regarding counting of cells. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyck3

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I must start by saying, I retired 7 years ago and what they say is true "If you don't use it, you lose it."
That said, I do remember basics but never did know much about VBA and fancy tricks. All I learned regarding the major nuances with Excel, I learned from this GLORIOUS resource. I crochet, this is my new retirement business, so to speak....

I have a graph of a picture that I personally created black (well I used dark blue) and blank cells to create a silhouette of a Peacock. Now its 125 cells by 178 rows. To work from this HUGE grid is taxing having to count as I go, 3 stitches blue, 1 white, 7 blue, 3 white, or consider it Color A, B, and if more colors, C, D,..... (7A, 1B, 7A, 3B) etc. for each stitch and each row.
So, I'm told that some of my designer friends uses macros in Excel to export a written instructions as exampled in bold.

Is it possible and if so, how, to achive this task in Excel. <crossing fingers> :)
Thank you extremely and in advance...

ladyck3
aka Laurie

P.S. If it would help to include a snip of the chart/spreadsheet, I'm willing to share a partial segment.

Thank you so very much in advance..

ladyck3
aka: Laurie :)

Duly herniated!
You DO know/remember me!! LOL

Here's the right-hand correction.

I still am ruminating on multi-color. My objective is to use an example of an existing chart using 3 or 4 different colors if you have such a sample. Have a ColorAnalysis procedure that lists the distinct colors and gives the user a chance to Label each color the way they would like to see it in the Stitches sheet. For instance, would you want to see Red, Blue, Green or R, B, G or anything else. That's next.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9f264da9-9062-4cbf-815f-6fece534e60e&file=tt-stitchChart.xlsm
I have pictures of charts in a PDF file but I don't have them actually charted out in excel. I don't think you can work with an image of a chart so its going to take me awhile to chart it all out. So we'll have to wait on that. I have not checked the new sheet thoroughly but I do see the write out change when I select LH vs RH so that's great :)

Its going to take TIME on the new chart. We can't read an image of a chart, can we?? Yes, I said WE :)

Skip,

Attached is a zip file (Multi_Color_Chart.zip) and contains the following:

1. Multi_Color_Chart.xlxs
(a graph of a segment of a cross section of the entire chart just to show color changes.
2. Images
a. Full image of an entire cross-section
b. A cutout piece of the approximate graphed chart in the .xlxs file. Due to the size
of the full chart, its difficult to pin point the exact cut out but I did my best.
c. The Full section showing the white space that the cross section was pulled from.

Confused? I have a tendency to do that to folks :)

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=087e2c49-b61f-479e-8cbe-a6d4ed7b0439&file=Multi_Color_Chart.zip
Skip,

I have a bigger challenge, if you're interested. The data I have is copyrighted though, and would be for my personal use to make the right left read left to right with a few more variables.

Problem is I am not at all comfortable sending it to the group, so I guess it can't happen :(
<sigh>

And... I understand... just sad.

What are the particulars of of this data that differ from what you've already sent?

Skip,
[sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

As per the last message, I created a chart from a PDF in LH and RH versions along with an explanation of the "Bigger Challenge" I mentioned above.

NO WAY, is an acceptable response if you feel its something you just don't want to get into... its cool. PDF of explanation and Spreadsheet attached, unless I have to send them individually. I'll send the spreadsheet first. I tried both, now I'll post and see what happens.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1f48ed85-ef8a-4c9a-abb6-b5d81e52bd3d&file=MOSAIC_Explained.pdf
Downloaded and read about an hour ago. Letting it percolate while my coffee drips.

Flipping the RH pattern to LH is no problem. It's just copying the last RH column to the LH sheet first LH column, and so on.

I think that 1) understanding and then 2) outputting the written instructions is the challenge.

The pattern (mosaic) appears in the stitch, not the yarn color?

Why are there Xs outside the 28x19 area? I guess that's "so that the crafter can make the piece as large as desired using the multiple plus edge stitches." So I can ignore this or include as some general boilerplate instruction.

So as inputs:[pre]
Actual 4" sample dimensions
Number stitches across
Number rows
Desired finish dimensions
Inches horizontal
Inched vertical
[/pre]

So in your specific case, to crochet a 4" x 4" square you did 20 stitches by 30 rows.

From the pattern, the stitch count StchCnt=28, RowCnt=19

Given 20 x 30 to get 4" you want a 40" final produce, but I would think that you'd want the row pattern to complete (ie TotalRows as a factor of RowCnt or 300/19 = 15.8, so you'd want 16 sets or 16 * 19 = 304 total rows. But maybe that doesn't work.

The expansion factor [tt]xFactor = [Sample Horizontal Stitches] / 4[/tt]

Output:
[pre]Finished Stitches = xFactor x [Sample Horizontal Stitches] + StchCnt - 1 + 6
Finished Rows = xFactor x [Sample Rows]
[/pre]

How close am I?

Skip,
[sub]

Here's my shot at it.

Dashboard is protected without a password simply to make it foolproof to enter data in the right places (Yellow).

You can put new data in the RH sheet and hit the RH to NewLH.
Put your numbers in the input.
View the output.

Hope I understood your requirements. nice afternoon challenge

Skip,
[sub]

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cfce9caa-c894-4f25-8ee5-e8926eeffa0b&file=Mosaic_Maze.xlsm
O...M...G!!! YOU SIR ARE A GENIUS...now the written part?

All squares with no X are blsc stitches Meaning the stitch is worked in the back loop or background
All squares WITH... X are fldc Meaning stitches are done in the front loop and are in the foreground

So counting stitches,
Row 1: all White are Color A and on the even rows, A is the main color so x # of blsc
Row 2: Main Color is B and again all are blsc
Row 3: All blank squares are blsc, but all X's are fldc

but... how many Squares and how many X's

On the NewLH tab... (always working LH.. left to right)
Row 1 all are A-blsc
Row 2 The first and last 3 stitches of each row are the edges, the repeats of 28 sitches in between
Row 3 1 blsc, 2 fldc, 11 blsc, 1 fldc, 1 blsc, 1 fldc, etc

Does this make sense?

I LOVE how the "NewLH" just "does it" EXCEPTIONAL!!!
I truly think that working this on both RH and LH charts, the written instructions like the first successful one....

I'd be done bothering you :)
How's THAT for a goal!! LOLOLOL

I'm NOT a genius, not even close. I'm not getting what you want to see as instructions for the first 3 rows LH. I get the stitch designation front (x=fldc) back(blsc), but where does the white (A) & shaded pattern (B) get coded?

I would think...
[tt]
Row 1: 3 Ablsc, 28 Ablsc, 3 Ablsc
Row 2: 3 Ablsc, 11 Bblsc, 1 Ablsc, (1 Bblsc, 1 Ablsc) x 8, 1 Ablsc, 3 Ablsc
Row 3: 1 Ablsc, 2 Afldc, 1 Bblsc, 9 Ablsc, 1 Bblsc, (1 Afldc, 1 Bblsc) x 3, 1 Afldc, 1 Ablsc, (1 Afldc, 1 Bblsc) x 4, 3 Afldc, 1 Ablsc
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

The color code is not the concern as the first field shows A or B meaning that entire row is ALL "A" or ALL "B", the designation is the number of blsc, fldc, blsc, fldc no consideration for color matters by row.

What this is actually telling the crafter/me is that I need to do x many blsc (Back Loop Single Crochet) then x many fldc (Front Loop Double Crochet)

trying to explain the stitch structure
A SC is the height of 1 stitch and is worked in the back loop of the stitch below as the top of every stitch looks like a sideways teardrop... so you work in the back or front loop for these patterns. When you look in the back loop, the front loops are seen all the time, except when you do a DC which is the height of 2 stitchs, so... you do not work on the same row as the SC, you extend that stitch and work in the FRONT LOOP (open loop) of the row 2 rows belong... fldc look like spikes, I guess you can say.

I know you don't crochet and have no interest I'm certain but this helps to I think help make a distinction?? <crossing fingers>

See the attached image, showing the blue are Single Crochet and the 2 white stitches are FLDC, making a double height stitch in the front of the work. Help a little??? :)

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1f5b5a9e-585d-46ec-a898-72e47ac3dc6a&file=blsc_fldc_image.jpg
I did have another question, this Maze tool was created with this one particular chart. Is it a tool I'll be able to use in the future with any chart entered into the RH tab? I guess I'm curious if this will only work on the one set of cells enclosed at this particular size or it can be more or less than this one chart... variable.

What I'm using as a reference on the chart is A1.

From A1 > END > RIGHT ARROW - 3 gives me the Start Column and another END > RIGHT ARROW + 3 the End Column.

From A1 > END > DOWN ARROW gives me End Row and another END > DOWN ARROW the Start Row.

So as long as your Column Numbers are in row 1 and the As, Bs or Row Numbers in column A I'm happy and you'll be happy 2.

Skip,
[sub]

Okie dokie! :)

One further bit, the Peacock Chart and the Maze chart would be two separate techniques.
the Peacock Chart actually uses both colors in the same row, so one is always carried behind while the front one is the working yarn, color designation is key.

As for the Maze chart, this piece is done one solid color on each row, but when the X appears, the stitch type changes so that color will be in the front so it will be pronounced while the other will be beind the FLDC stitches and not visible, but simply backing so there are no holes.

So Peacock needs the 1A, 7B, etc
Maze needs #blsc, #fldc, #blsc, etc...

Yes, I see that. Thanks for the clarification. Two separate workbooks.

I was trying to see how the mosaic comes through. The Xs don't line up with the pattern???

But that's neither here nor there. What, me worry?

BTW, I've got several irons in the fire, so, as the doctor admonished the wee person wanting all the answers, "You have to learn to be a little patient!"

Skip,
[sub]

<DONNING PATIENT CAP>

I will check back in a day or so and be quiet until I hear from you :) :)
Deal? Done!

I think I'm done. Frankly, I'm not sure what I'm thinking. I just realized I've lost 4 folding tables and I'm a bit frazzled.

I think...I do know, I am...that the mosaic workbook is ready.

Skip,
[sub]

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cb403cc5-71de-4b28-8fbb-0c3cc1b2ec83&file=Mosaic_Maze.xlsm
1. Most important... RE: Your tables ... Where did you last leave them? Check there...
Hey just trying to help. <WINK> <slapping self on wrist, you're NOT helping him> LOL

2. I know there was mention of the first and last 4 stitches outside of the Pattern repeat. No worries, when I create the piece I'll have both the chart and the written together, those stitches are important for the piece itself as they are repeated on every row as shown before...X-man repeats and after. NO WORRIES on that part.

3. I'm not quite sure how this works, however, on the Stitches tab there is an option to select RH or NewLH sheets and a Button 3. When I select either RH and click Button 3 and see no reverse of the stitches from NewLH and RH, but that... could just be me.

So please, a brief explanation would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking for any more programming/scripting/formula making, just an understanding of the uses of the Factors tab, if necessary and how the actual function of exporting the written stitches is to be executed.

Just in case, in the future I change the RH chart for a different pattern... as you said the transpose will work for the chart's "End of range" if I remember accurately.

Did ya find the tables yet? :)
Thanks so much....SO MUCH I believe your goal of me sitting in the background is almost coming to fruition :)

Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back