Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reports will not run when scheduled, only interactivly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

celdridge

MIS
Feb 3, 2003
AU
Hello,

I'm in the process of migrating a few hundred reports from one BOE XI (Crystal Reports Server to be exact) to another. Along the way I am also changing the DB details for each report and fixing up any cosmetic errors. Needless to say this is a fairly long and tedious process.

So I've mostly finished bringing these reports across now. I've tested every report within Crystal Reports designer and running them through Info View, all run fine. However there are a few (about 30 or 40) reports that just come back with the rather cryptic error -

Error in File C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 11\Data\procSched\MADBOE01v.reportjobserver\~tmp17d46926022dc11c.rpt: Failed to retrieve data from the database. Details: [Database Vendor Code: 4413 ]

I can't seem to fix this error no matter what I do, like I said, these reports run fine when you run them interactively within Info View or Crystal Reports designer, I can verify the login details are correct as it returns a different error when I deliberately make them incorrect.

Is there any way for me to find out what is going on here? Are there any kind of logs I can look at? Can I turn on some kind of debugging to get some actual details on what the problem is here?

Thanks,

Cameron

Quick questions. Do you enter the database credentials at run time in InfoView (i.e., do you enter database credentials when you schedule the report)? Is the database configuration set in CMC (default settings). Are you making sure that the 'Use same database logon as when report is run' is set in the database configuration?

Past that, I can only think that there is something strange going on with the database connection.

One more thing to check:
be sure the reportjobserver is running under an accout that has full access to the database and its location ( file/operating system access is needed)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Do you enter the database credentials at run time in InfoView (i.e., do you enter database credentials when you schedule the report)? Is the database configuration set in CMC (default settings). Are you making sure that the 'Use same database logon as when report is run' is set in the database configuration?"

I've tried setting the database credentials at run time in the schedule screen, and also storing them in the CMC. When saving the settings in CMC I set the option "Use same database logon as when report is run' is set in the database configuration". When the credentials are entered incorrectly it returns a different error (access denied), as you would expect when incorrect credentials are provided.

"be sure the reportjobserver is running under an accout that has full access to the database and its location ( file/operating system access is needed)"

The reportjobserver is running under the LocalSystem account. The BOEXI server is a different physical server to the DB server, so I'm not sure why this would work at all?

A few more things I've noticed after more testing -

- The reports that fail do not fail consistently. If run for shorter timeframes (and such a smaller data set) they sometimes will finish. There are however other reports that run quite fine with MUCH larger data sets (against the same tables but returning 10 to 20 times the data).

- It doesn't seem to matter what database driver I use to connect with. All these reports normally use SQLOLEDB drivers normally, they still fail though when changed to SQLNCLI or SQLNCLI10 (the DB server is SQL 2008 R2). They even fail with the same error when using ODBC.

- I've turned on tracing on the reportjobserver. There were no further error messages within these trace files, it just continues to report "Failed to retrieve data from the database. Details: [Database Vendor Code: 4413 ]" (it appears to be missing information next to the "Details: " part of the error message.)

What database is in use ( SqlServer,Oracle, ??)"
Database is SQL Server 2008 R2.

"If SqlServer and a view is involved, see if this helps isolate the cause:
"
That doesn't really apply in this situation, I'm not utilising any views in these reports, just direct table access (not even using command "tables").

I'm still working through trying to figure out how to get it working, and so far the only successful way to do it is to completely re-create the report from scratch..... So not a great solution. But it does show that it most likely is an issue with the report/BOEXI server rather then the DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back