Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

repeated log in requests in shared documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

gronk1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
On two of our users systems (internal = W2K and external = 98?) when the user trys to view a shared document they continually receive the login window to enter name, password, domain again and again. Thanks for any help in advance.

hi gronk,

i have the same problem too, but even when i connect the url as a webshare. When i try several times and abort, it works nevertheless sometimes.

Have You solved your Problem yet. If yes, i would be happy if you could email me your solution.

Thank You

P.S. What helped was to create a new site. But thats not an option at all.

Sorry I have found no solution as of yet. If you find any other solution please keep me posted and I will do the same. Thanks.

We just implimented Sharepoint and are having similar difficulties.

The temporary solution was a talonic stated, but not quite as severe. The creator of the webspace (dashboard) moved components around -- adding some, deleting others. One of the components removed was causing the problems. I'll talk to the administrator to see what else he did to get rid of that annoying repeated login.

Guys, i got it.

I now know where the problem comes from. When i use basic authentication and windows authentication on my site, the problem starts. When i use only Windows Authentication, i don't have the problem.

Try it. It's not a convinient option too, but it's where we have to start digging.

Greets Talonic

This answer may be too simple to correct the problem you are having, but it is worth a shot....

I have had this problem a couple of times and what we found was in the security settings for Internet Explorer, under "User Authentication" it was set to "Prompt for user name and password" instead of "Automatic logon with current user name and password". When we changed that settings, the problems went away. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back