Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing entries from msconfig/startup? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotfusion

Technical User
Jan 20, 2001
GB
After much anguish and multiple driver re-installs, I've now decided I have a duff modem.
The trouble is, I'm left with 3 identical entries under msconfig > startup referring to this now uninstalled and removed modem.
I know they do no harm where they are, but how would I go about removing these entries?

Thanks, Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

the best way is to do a search through the registry if uninstallign the modem does not help..also uninstall teh software of the modem from add remove programs...if that doesnt work and you are experienced witht he registry...*(BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP FIRST) search the registry and delete anything associated witht he modem...its easier to do a search.

Thanks for the prompt reply - the modem has been properly uninstalled, and I did do a search for these entries but found nothing.
Do you or anyone else know where these entries are held? Either a registry key or a configuration file perhaps?

Cheers. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

i just thought of this...after you uncheck it, their should be a box after you restart to clean the registry or soemthing like that. it will be located on the lower right or left hand side of the startup section on msconfig...try that and let me know if its their.

Start--run--regedit. Look for them here in the right pane:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce, or any of the Run keys with a - next to them like Run-. The Run keys with a - next to them are where the programs you unchecked in msconfig are located.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, RunOnce.

freeware - startup cop is great for managing the startup group. Just do a Google search on "startup cop download".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back