Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access with DID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkurk

Programmer
May 13, 2004
US
Customer wants to remote access MICS 7.1 by calling DID (L191) and enter a password then be able to make International calls. I tried using rem access line but system will not let me enter any line number over 156 (last before DID range) Any thoughts?

Set the Target Line to a DISA DN
Build a COS with Remote Package and password

Call into the DID you should get Stuttered Dial Tone, then you can enter your password and make a call out.
I may have missed a step here but someone will fill in the blanks. Good luck

Thanks hawks, I'll give that a try.

Hawks covered it well. Also make sure you have access codes assigned to your pools, or destination codes/routes built for dialing back out. Make the passwords difficult to guess. Don't use 123456, etc.

Brian Cox

Follow exsmogger's advice and I would also let the customer know that you are not responsible if any one hacks his system and makes unwanted calls. Not likely to happen if he keeps up the password changing but you never know.

Thanks hawks and exsmogger,

Great advise on passwords, but no one listens till they get a bill from telco (usually 5 to 10 k )before they change passwords from 123456.
Thanks for your help!!!

Gary

We had a hospital that got charged $71,000 in one month from hacked calls. I agree, change your passwords.

RikRodgers, I would suggest to any customer that can afford it a call accounting package that has a tollfraud watchdog built in. telco will only forgive one time for toll fraud and maybe not even then.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Thanks JerryReeve,

Great sugestion I'll look into it.

I agree, jerry. Thank God it happened at one of their sites where we only handle their computer network.

Beleive me, steps were implemented after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back