Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitelmike2010

Technical User
Feb 5, 2010
JE
Hi All,
Does anyone have a good remote access solution that covers both the Mitel SX2000 and 3300. Something that is flexible and fast. We are fed up with the overpriced Mitel (Datatrack) Tracker solutions.

If any one has any suggestions, they would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Get you a 30B Fortigate firewall to be installed at customer's premises, connect it to the internet and acces the remote network from your laptop using PPTP Vpn connection. Fortigate 30B may cost aroud 300-400 US$.

Does your SX2000 have controller cards with the ethernet port? Access it the same way you will establish connection to the 3300.

Daniel

HI,

Thanks for the response. Was looking for a solution a bit less like a firewall router.

Cheers Anyway.

Regards

When you say both the SX2000 and 3300 are you talking about a clustered network composed of the two. We have used the Logmenin remote access product to the Enterprise Manager. Then used that to manage a site.

Thanks Loopy,

We are working hard to promote the end of ops man so this is no a suitable solution for us. It needs to be like the Datatrack solution but no datatrack if that makes sense. Needs to be cost effective so we can fund it ourselves on certain contracts.

I cannot believe datatrack have the only solution in the world for remote access?

Regards

How about simple VPN? Is that out of the question? Will your customer give you VPN access?

Since you are phasing out OpsMan is there any other product on site you could use with remote control software? CCM for example? What about a simple PC on their network?

Heres what i do....
install a Linksys broadband router (between 40-60 bucks). Give it a public IP. Say your 3300ICP is statically assigned 192.168.1.5. Uplink the Linksys router to the outside newtwork. Plug the 3300 into one of the ports on the Linksys. To access the Linsys from a remote location, enter its public IP that you gave it by using To access the 3300 from anywhere in the world use the same public IP address but this time use port 443 by using https:// then the public IP address you assigned the Linksys. Doing it this way has its disadvantages. You cannot perform remote upgrades this way.
Hope I explained this clearly.

Although I prefer the logmein application I also like the above mentioned linksys app, however since Logmein requires a PC on site, that PC can also act as a FTP server so that the 3300 can do automatic scheduled backups.

Another thing that can be done is to use the "free" version of MSL from contribs.org, setup on a PC, NAT a public IP to it and use PPTP. If you have teleworker or AWC you're already there, just add the VPN users.
Of course you can always PAT to the indivual Mitel servers.

But just a reminder, you may want to lock any remote access to just the subnets that require it (such as your remote center)so it's not visable to the world.

Ralph

Hi, I know the SX-200 supports this but am not sure about the 2000 or 3300. On the install disk they include a telnet-tls program.

On the 200 you would go telnet-tls <ip>:2000

I'm almost certain your customer has a means to "nat" an external IP and port to map to the controller.

To verify that this could work, run telnet-tls from inside the firewall and attempt to connect to the controller.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Hi,
I know a company that used to use a netgear dsl router that had a modem internally so you could dial in via a ddi. Only helps with the SX2000 if you've got the ethernet port on the main controller though. I don't know if they are still available

Jules

Hi,
To be honest I work at Data Track if you want to get the Tracker then have a word with the sales team, they can build the Tracker to suit you. If you have an issue with the Tracker then let us know always great to get feedback so we can do our best to meet your needs.
Reef

You can also pick up a refurbed PC (Micro Center, Tiger Direct, etc) for ~$150. Install on site and use Logmein.com

This gives you access to both the 2k via the PC's serial port and the 3300 via IP.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back